Author Topic: Dish of Scraps  (Read 1798 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Dish of Scraps
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »
A possible use for all those small pieces of nice wood...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Dish of Scraps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »
Nice use of the leftover bits, I like to use all the wood that isn't sawdust or shavings too
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
Must be a way to use the shavings?  Compressed & glued?  Certainly I have used cedar shavings in a bag.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »
I have given this kind of glued-up blank lark a miss up to now, because an ex clubmate used the technique extensively and you could always feel the joints where the different timbers had moved by slightly different amounts. Have you noticed this problem? Is there a way around it?
Brian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
Brian yes there is a way around it. Let the wood joints settle down in the house and sand them again, sometimes you have to do it again but normally they are OK after the 2nd sanding.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »
Brian, BHT - I agree about the joints - this is not about the wood moving but about the glue moving.  PVA (like Titebond) goes on moving for a long time after it is set - perhaps a month.  If you wait and re-sand you will be fine, it will not go on moving.  Urea-formaldehyde (like Cascamite) is a bit better and clear epoxy is a lot better - sanded joints will remain smooth.  But epoxy joints are less tight I think - possibly exactly because the water-free adhesive does not make the wood 'swell into' itself.  And it is more of a fiddle. Mostly I use PVA and wait a bit.

PS - glued-composite-wood pens coated in acrylic (superglue) tend to be less of an issue & I have done a good many of these.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:28:25 AM by willstewart »

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
My thanks to you both for that info. I suppose this is a good example of the value of this kind of forum. It seems that I had a hang-up which has now been dispelled before I even realised I had it.
All the best
Brian 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
As we've all got that box of bits that we might find something to do with 'one day', I think this is a great idea.
Well done in thinking it up.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!