Author Topic: Kelton Mcnaughton system vs Woodcut bowlsaver MAX-3.  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Havo

• iron
Kelton Mcnaughton system vs Woodcut bowlsaver MAX-3.
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
So, im looking to buy a bowl coring/saver system but am undecided which to purchase. As I can tell, the woodcut max3 are fixed to one bowl shape because you are locked where it pivots. But the mcnaughton seems to have a little more flexibility?
Has anyone used both of theses systems?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Kelton Mcnaughton system vs Woodcut bowlsaver MAX-3.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
I have used the McNaughton and both the two and three bladed Woodcut bowlsavers - I used to have the McNaugton and the 2 bladed Woodcut but sold both and bought the Woodcut Max3. The McNaugton does give you a little more flexibility with shape but not that much more. The Woodcut can be adjusted a little to change the depth of core and path of the cutter so overall, it doesn't make a huge difference. I think the Woodcut is quicker and easier to set up and use.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
although i've never used the mcnaughton system i bought the woodcut because i could see that they basically did the same job but i think the woodcut is that bit more stable and as paul says it is easier to set up and use.

i looked at many a youtube video to work out what i wanted to buy and after looking at all the systems out there i decided that the woodcut was best and purchased a second hand woodcut bowlsaver many years ago. it has possibly been the best purchase of my woodturning life.

pays for itself in the first half dozen bowls you core.

i'm not sure that the max 3 is that much of an improvement or perhaps i just don't need a third blade.

Paul, what is your verdict on how the max 3 performs over the original bowlsaver?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:19:07 PM by seventhdevil »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
The Max3 works in exactly the same way as the two bladed version but has a third, larger blade so will do bigger cores. It is also a little more robust because it's designed to take bigger cores.

Offline Havo

• iron
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
Well, you guys made short work of that 😂..
Thank you!
 I will have a look around for the best deal, although I would imagine it will be pretty close across the few stores that I know.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Happy turning  🙌🏼

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
Hi Havo,
Axminster have a promotion on Woodcut tools. 10% off. Not sure how long that will last and can't guarantee they will be cheapest but may be worth considering.
PS. I've got the old 2-blade Bowlsaver and, although I don't use it that often, when I do it does the job relatively easily.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
I have the Max Cut 3 and it is my first bowl saver on the VB. Fairly easy to set up and use, but it does need a fairly powerful lathe to make the most of it..... Oh and its heavy. Lol
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads