Author Topic: The vase is now finnished and on it's way to a new home.  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
The vase is now finnished and on it's way to a new home.
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
I turned this a while back but I have only just got around to finishing it with ten coats of finishing oil, it's now been sold and on it's way to a new home. The heart tee lights I make at Christmas and find that they sell well, I hope that you like them your c and c are welcome. Les

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
Re: The vase is now finnished and on it's way to a new home.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
This horse chestnut bowl was also added to the customers want list

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
Nice work. I'm always amazed when I see how wood with natural gaps can be turned successfully. I'm far too inexperienced to even dream of attempting something like that. The finish looks great too. Did you use the same finish on the bowl? Do you have a website, Les, where you put your work up for sale?

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Nice work. I'm always amazed when I see how wood with natural gaps can be turned successfully. I'm far too inexperienced to even dream of attempting something like that. The finish looks great too. Did you use the same finish on the bowl? Do you have a website, Les, where you put your work up for sale?

Hi Mike. I think that anyone can turn something that has natural gaps, they just need to be aware that bits can fly off and fingers can get hurt when sanding (sanding at a very low speed or hand sanding may be required) also a gentle touch with the tools being used as a catch can see what your turning explode.
I used the chestnut food safe on the bowl but I'm thinking of trying the Rustins Danish Oil on my next bowl as that's food safe and toy safe.
I'm a hobby turner so i don't have a website, I have done one craft fair and the wife has done a couple of wood parties this year and she has put a few things on her facebook page that have all been sold.
Many thanks for asking questions. Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Les,

I won't ask how you kept that vase together, but last time I saw something with that big a split in it, it was made by the turner and full of a zipper.

Amazing and thanks for posting this piece of inspiration.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 09:30:36 PM »
Les,

I won't ask how you kept that vase together, but last time I saw something with that big a split in it, it was made by the turner and full of a zipper.

Amazing and thanks for posting this piece of inspiration.

No thank you for looking dr4gonfly, I'm finding that I like turning things with holes in as it's easy to check the wall thickness.

I made these a few years back now but I'm struggling to get back into making them.

Offline Motley Dog

• iron
    • Motley Dog Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »

I made these a few years back now but I'm struggling to get back into making them.

It might be struggle but the struggle is clearly worth it. Lovely work, well done.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
Some very nice pieces Les I can remember the ones in the last photo you posted

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »
Thank you for your comments on my work Motley Dog they are very much appreciated. Les

Thank you Derek, it's good to remember just don't remember all the bad things that I have turned.  ;D Les