Author Topic: What chuck and what jaws  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
What chuck and what jaws
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
Hi all,
You may have read my recent post about changing the backplate of a chuck - or, in my case, NOT :).
My current lathe which I am thinking of changing is 3/4" x 16TPI, lathes I am looking at are M33 x 3.5. The backplate on my chuck cannot be changed to M33 x 3.5.
So it looks like I will need to buy a new chuck when I change my lathe. I want a good quality chuck. My first thoughts are to buy the same chuck, the Axminster SK114, in M33 x 3.5.
But there are other chucks out there and I was wondering what other people have and what you would recommend. Also what jaws have you found useful. I know this will be influenced by the type of work so, as I am at the start of my woodturning journey, I see myself making a range of items and my wish-list of projects includes candle-sticks, pepper mills, boxes, platters and bowls.
Thanks in advance.
Mike.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: What chuck and what jaws
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »
Mike, I use Axminster Precision chucks and a Oneway Stronghold chuck. I also have a Nova chuck and Record chucks.
There are many chucks out there and might be best to try and get one that will take a range of jaws - others may know of these better than I.

I have a full range of jaws for the Axminster & Oneway, jaws only as supplied with the Nova and the Record.

You might also find some good lathe/chucks packages available at this time of year.

Hope this helps?
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Hi
If you have a axminster chuck how many sets of jaws do you have?
Did you ask axminsters if your chuck body could be re machined?
You could put feelers out to see if a local machine shop would do it or if you are going to sell the lathe that this chuck fits adust the price to accommodate the chuck.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
Thanks David. I’ll have a look at those chucks.
Thanks Red, at the moment I just have the jaws that came with the chuck. I'll ask about re-machining, I'd be happy if Axminster could do it but not sure I would get the same precision from a local machine shop. If Axminster can't re-machine it, I think I will go for the second option you mention i.e. sell it with the lathe and get a new one. 

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
Hi
You have to weigh up the pros and cons of this little debate,ask axminster they would charge a nominal fee they could well machine these bodies in soft jaws or in jaws that have been hardened and ground which is the better way. The only problem i can see is how much meat is left in the body behind the major diameter of the thread they may have left metal in there or could make it so all the range of Chuck's all weigh the same over the whole range of SK114 they make.
Without seeing one and stripping it down that's a best guess sorry mate.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
not sure what is on the market these days but i've been turning seriously for 10 years and have only ever used the old axminster K10 clubman chucks and their goliath chucks. i have the various jaws for these from the bog standard C type jaws up to their mega grippers.

for the list of items you have stated you are interested in you don't need something that claims to have amazingly accurate milling and grinding as that tolerance can be lost in the compression of the timber or the lack of tolerance in the lathe.

a good but standard chuck should do the job just fine.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »
Axminster precision for me, recently added the tool posts Versa chuck, which is an almost identical copy and will take jaws from several manufacturers, very good value to.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:35:40 PM »
…  I'll ask about re-machining, I'd be happy if Axminster could do it but not sure I would get the same precision from a local machine shop. 

Contacted Axminster. They can't machine it out to M33 x 3.5. They also suggested selling it with the lathe, as Red suggested earlier. Which seems like the best option . . . .

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
Hi Mike,

To get round your problem, aren't you able to use one of the below on your current chuck (inexpensive solution to allow you to keep chuck and jaw sets)?  Can it be used on your Axminster chuck?

VIPERIB   3/4'' x 16tpi - M33 x 3.5 Exert
     https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/p3-4-x-16tpi-m33-x-3-5-exert/category_pathway-174

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 07:23:35 PM »
Hi Sandy,
Yes, that's a possibility but it was something I was told to avoid since the extra length acts as a lever and increases the strain on the spindle and bearings. It certainly would be a cheaper solution though . . . . . .

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Hi Mike,
I don't personally see it being a problem, and I do use an insert on one of my Nova chucks with no issues.

Factors to take into consideration would include
>  quality of engineering and material of insert (i.e. ensure a good manufacturer)
>  support from tailstock whenever possible
and if this met, then
>  the weight of timber
>  degree timber is out of balance
>  the speed of rotation and heaviness of cut (i.e. experience of turner)

I was surprised there were no posts before mine from anyone suggesting using an insert so will be interested to hear from more experienced turners than me what they think. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:12:35 PM by Sandy »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »
probably the more experienced turners have eventually got rid of older chucks that may have had a different thread on them so have no need for a thread changer.

i did buy a thread extender which is a M33 to M33 but that's because i like doing deep bowls and needed the chuck to reach into the bowl to stop fouling the headstock.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 08:10:39 AM »
I supose I am a 'more expoerienced turner' and I still hav e my old chucks and use them. I have been reading this thread with a combination of amusement and amazement. Buying new chucks every time you change your lathe? Getting them re-threaded etc etc. Simply get an exert/insert for the chuck to the new thread. I run two lathes with different threads on the headstock and use all the same chucks on them. no problem. Only time it clould be a problem is if you have a particularly long exert and are turning big heavy pieces frequently then there could be too much weight pulling on your bearings  but otherwise get an adaptor. Cheaper and far more convenient than new chucks and all the other paraphanalia being mulled on.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. It's great to be able to tap into your experiences. I guess I'll look again at the exerts - that was a new word for me :) - and see what I can get.
Regards, Mike.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Hi
I have just read your piece bodrighywood and  i have to say i always thought that this forum was a gift to newbes the playing field were level and in there own way everyone has a chance to comment at all levels of this debate no matter how long they have been turning i think the newbie picks up a lot of information some good some not so good
Kind of sorting the chaff from the wheat i think it's called gathering experience