Author Topic: Refurbishing handles  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Refurbishing handles
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
And put a flat on so they don't keep rolling off the bench / lathe bed.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Good point Lazarus, I haven't done this yet but must add it to my todo list as Ive had a few mishaps, fortunately all have had a soft landing!  :) ... but one day!?!!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
Just make a rack to go on the bed for the tools to sit on. Having a flat on the handle sounds uncomfortable to me.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
Just make a rack to go on the bed for the tools to sit on. Having a flat on the handle sounds uncomfortable to me.

Pete

This sounds like a better idea if only I could remember to place them on it in the first place. But do have to agree a flat would make it feel uncomfortable well for me at least

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Yes a horizontal rack on the bed-ways has worked for me, some of the time, depending on the job in hand - e.g. spindle work was often a little awkward.

I currently use a free standing horizontal rack on castors.  However I still find that I simply place the tool I'm using on the bed-ways in between times until I want to swap over to another.

So a flat on the largest diameter of the handle seems to me to be a good thing.  But fair point, I should trial it for comfort before modifying a tool(s) from my 'armoury' - don't believe it would be an issue for me though.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:23 PM »
I have a small rack that fits snugly on the bedways and holds half a dozen chisels. Used that method for years.