Author Topic: Refurbishing handles  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Refurbishing handles
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Hi all,
I'm thinking about giving the handles of my tools a bit of a spruce up (no pun intended) - whatever finish they had originally has long worn off so I am thinking of removing the handles, giving them a light sanding between centres to remove any dirt and freshen them up, and then applying a new finish. May I ask for opinions, what finish would you recommend for turning tool handles?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Refurbishing handles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
I generally only treat my self-made handles with some sanding sealer to prevent build-up of dust and sweat from handling. Easy to repair and easy to keep clean. I know there's folks out there who go very elaborate with their tool handles, I am sorry, but I don't see the point of that.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:09:09 AM »
Danish oil for me easy to apply and re-apply
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
Use them as they are or you will need to do them again in a few years time , it's just a tool
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:08:29 PM by Wood spinner »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
I coat any hand made handles with Boiled Linseed Oil.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
A light sanding and the finish of your choice, sealer and wax for me, but I would not take the tool out of the handle, if it is ok now leave it, as the Yanks say if it aint broke dont fix it!
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »
Can't say I have ever thought of treating the handles with anything at all. I want them to be the right length, weight etc when I make them but leave them au naturel. They don't seem to need anything other than the natural oils from my hands etc. Perhaps I am being neglectful?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »
I never put any finish on tool handles I make. They develop their own patina with use!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
Mike if a tool handle is nicely fixed to the tool I would not remove it, any that are loose or mis-aligned I would. I am afraid I am a bit of a tool junkie, I always have been, I take a pride in my tools being sharp and looking good (not new mind you). I would give those that need it a rub down with abrasive and remove any loose and olf flaking finish. Some of the old shop bought handles have a finish which just has not stood the test of time and become uncomfortable in use.It is these that I sand off. Any of the finishes are suitable for tool handles although I do not tend to oil mine. A burnished finish can be OK too. I keep old bottles of finish, you know the ones that end up with shavings in and are a bit sludgy, these are what I use on my handles. Saves wasting the old finish. I also rub the handles with wax polish once coated.Having a pride in your tools is reflected in the work you turn out.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
And I am the exact opposite to BHT. My homemade handles are sanded to about 120 grit and then left alone. In time they will, as already mentioned on this thread, take on a patina just from handling. This finish may not look the prettiest but the 'Feel' is second to none.

My advice...… Don't remove the handles unless you are going to make new ones.  Decide your own priorities (BHT's or mine) and go for it, there isn't a right or wrong.

Some years ago, incidentally, I mounted a tool between centres by driving the cutting edge into a softish scrap of wood in the headstock. It took a bit of faffing to get the handle to run true(ish) but I did manage to joint an extension onto the existing, too short, handle. Might have been easier to make a replacement but hey, the idea struck so I had to give it a go.
All the Best
Brian

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
I have all my handles, both metal and wood types, coated with Heatshrink Tube easy to apply and comfortable to use.

Richard

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »
Can't say I have ever thought of treating the handles with anything at all. I want them to be the right length, weight etc when I make them but leave them au naturel. They don't seem to need anything other than the natural oils from my hands etc. Perhaps I am being neglectful?

Pete

i'm with you there pete, can't see a need to do anything to it after it's made and they look fine after a few months use.

my handle on the tailstock wheel is now a wooden one after the metal one broke and i left it bare but after a couple of years it looks like it's been varnished just through daily use.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. As always, very helpful :)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
You could make them all different, makes it easier to grab the right tool from the raack

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
You could make them all different, makes it easier to grab the right tool from the raack

That's a good idea :)