Author Topic: Carbon steel, HSS, Cryo, PM and Titanium nitride  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Redtails4

• copper
Re: Carbon steel, HSS, Cryo, PM and Titanium nitride
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Hi
Brian inserts are little bits of precise sized pieces of tungstun carbide
That are used in the metal cutting industry and are in some way clamped to a single toolholder used on a lathe or in multiples clamped around milling cutter used on a milling machine.
The coatings are  of the exotic nature very rare and very very expensive.
The whole concept of these coatings is to give better tool life, better surface finishes plus in some instances give a increase in cutting speeds and spindle speed which could result in in a increase in the cutting forces this is where the coatings come into there own.
I hope this gives some insight into the term "insert"

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
Thanks Red.
Your explanation takes me back best part of a lifetime, to my teenage days at engineering college. I am damn glad to have left those days far in my wake..... especially as life led me to take up woodyturning seriously. Working a centre lathe and woody lathe may appear similar but I can tell you from personal experience that engineers make the very worst of pupils because of all the false assumptions they bring across with them.

All the best
Brian

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi
Brian i came into woodturning after retirement with time on my hands? After working as a engineer i came into
Woodturning simpley because of two things (1) the choice and freedom to be creative not restricted by a drawing
With a thousand and one dimensions on it, in woodturning it's your creative juices and using your eye i wished i was forty years younger in that my eyes now are not so good.and (2) i was given a 1957 copy of Fredrick Pains
"Woodturning". I came into this hobby ? with an open mind and no assumptions plus when i left work i left if i had one my ego behind thank goodness.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Very enlightening from my point of view as a beginner :)

Offline Les

• iron
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
I had to put my personal observations down on this thread, as a production turner I turn a lot of similar shapes on similar timbers through the day so thought a few months ago I would put a number of tools to the test including coated, powdered metallurgy, M2, M42 , 2060 , 2030. I was turning 250mm oak rings for a  lighting company. The 3/8 (13mm Bar) bowl gouges were all sharpened the same way on a fine CBN wheel. The results from the first test were very surprising to the say the least and I not going to publish them here, why , I hear you say, well , the second test gave me completely different results. This is not a scientific test but those who know me are aware that I am pretty consistent in my stock removal.

Les

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
That's interesting - and a bit mysterious and intriguing ;) - may I ask, why do you think the results were different between the first and second tests? And are you going to carry out more tests or publish the results at some stage?

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »
Hi Les,

You say:  'I had to put my personal observations down on this thread ... and I not going to publish them here".  It doesn't seem that you're likely to share any results or be expanding on the above comments.

I might have read this wrong, but if not, then I'm bewildered why you started typing in the first place. But then, each to their own.

I'm not intrigued, so unless someone enlightens me I'll simply stop reading further posts on this thread.

Offline Les

• iron
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Hi Les,

You say:  'I had to put my personal observations down on this thread ... and I not going to publish them here".  It doesn't seem that you're likely to share any results or be expanding on the above comments.

I might have read this wrong, but if not, then I'm bewildered why you started typing in the first place. But then, each to their own.

I'm not intrigued, so unless someone enlightens me I'll simply stop reading further posts on this thread.

The reason for the post was to show that wood is an inconsistent material and that you cannot always predict its abrasive, hardness and edge wearing properties when it comes to claims that "this tools edge will outlast other tools edge" I am very sorry and apologise  that you are bewildered about my post .

Offline Les

• iron
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
That's interesting - and a bit mysterious and intriguing ;) - may I ask, why do you think the results were different between the first and second tests? And are you going to carry out more tests or publish the results at some stage?
Hi Mike, I am afraid that I will not publish the results as they are so different so not sure if it will help anyone, just trying to say that it seems that turning tests on the  durability of a tools edge is a very difficult thing to test

Les

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
Hi Les,

...  'The reason for the post was to show that wood is an inconsistent material and that you cannot always predict its abrasive, hardness and edge wearing properties when it comes to claims that "this tools edge will outlast other tools edge"

Now I understand what your post was about.

Thanks for clarification.