Author Topic: Nova v Record chuck - opinions please  (Read 6658 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Nova v Record chuck - opinions please
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Tell me about it. I tried to get some new bits and gave up.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
Silas if your chuck does not run true it may not be the chuck it may be the headstock spindle, it may be bent. A test for that is start it up with nothing attached and lower one end of a spanner to touch the rotating spindle. it it stays smooth the spindle is fine but if it jumps about it may be bent. The you will have other things to consider.

Offline Silas

• iron
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
 Hi. I front think it's the spindle. I have already tried your suggestion. I have also fitted a large faceplate to the spindle and that runs true.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
Hi
Silas i would read your last post there is contradiction in your post you have problem with
The spindle ie it's running out ,but when you put a face plate on the spindle it's ok???
Have you got  the use of a dial gouge ? If you have set up the gauge on the plain part of the spindle to read zero turn the spindle by hand not by power if it runs out it could be the spindle is bent ?or it could be the front bearing is shot which i would say is more likely than a bent spindle it would take some force to bend a spindle on a wood turning lathe.
It could be the spindle thread has been cut with the spindle running out of true.
To check the front bearing place a block of wood under your chuck and place some kind of lever under the chuck and with the dial gauge set again at zero gentle lift up the lever to detect any movement which will indicate bearing wear if that is the problem then replace both back and front bearing with good quality replacements.
If your chuck has a insert in it unscrew it check the runout of the spindle has described above then check the insert after screwing this on to the spindle this maybe out out of tolerance you will not be able to do this but look at the flats on the top of the threads.
Try moving it on the thread this is a problem with a inserted chuck and may be the cause of your problem.
If your chuck was made in the far East then i would look no further than poor workmanship.
Kind regards and good luck.

Offline Silas

• iron
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
 I think my typo may have caused some confusion.im pretty sure the spindle is ok. It runs true with a large faceplate and with the tailstock centre and the feedstock centre lined up exactly it again runs perfectly true.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Hi Silas - I had a chuck that ran out of true many years ago on my Myford ML7 and couldn't see why until I took it apart and measured it. It turns out that the metalwork teacher in the school it came from was using a bar in the jaws and a lump hammer to remove it from the mandrel !!  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
And I allways thought that Chucks with reverse operation were those that originated in the southern Hemisphere and operate in the  reverse to the Northern Hemishere. Such As Water going down the plughole in the opposite direction to us!
 ;)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 09:41:44 PM »
Such As Water going down the plughole in the opposite direction to us!
 ;)

Sorry, that is a myth lol.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Silas

• iron
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »
Pretty much decided on the Record SC4,

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:03 AM »
Such As Water going down the plughole in the opposite direction to us!
 ;)

Sorry, that is a myth lol.
Pete

Which part? the Vortex or Oragin?

Offline Silas

• iron
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »
 Well, I bought a record sc4. It's brilliant. Runs perfectly true and very impressive build quality.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
Hi
With or without the insert?

Offline Silas

• iron
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Ordered it with a new insert. Very impressed up to now. I also bought some 35mm and some cold jaws.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
Hi
I bought a Nova chuck with a insert when put the chuck on the lathe it ran out .005" so i had a moan got a replacement insert which just about halved the runout so i left it at that .
As somebody said trying to contact the people Nova you might has well had a seance.
When i  swopped lathes i bought record power sc4 no problem.
I am glad you got it sorted.