Author Topic: Robert Sorby Spindlemaster  (Read 7672 times)

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
Robert Sorby Spindlemaster
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
Hi everyone

One of my big problems is with the dreaded skew. I started off
with a fairly large one that came with the lathe and it was just beyond my ability.
Later, I bought a smaller one (we're talking flat skews...) and had a bit
more success, but still could never  guarantee getting to the end of a piece
without damage. Again, later, I bought an oval one and seemed to
get on a lot better with it, but still needed much more learning.

Then I saw the spindlemaster on a youtube and it looked amazing so
I bought the 3/4" jobbie and seemed at home with it straight
away and I was pleased with the progress I was making. And now, it
all seems to have gone backwards and where I thought I was mastering
it, suddenly I seemed to have lost total control.

When 'it's working' for me, it's great but then just seems to go
uncontrollable even more than my skew work (which I am
still practising slowly and unsurely haha).

I just wondered if any of you guys have any experience
with the spindlemaster.....

thanks for reading .. regards - Jim

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Robert Sorby Spindlemaster
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
I use a skew more than any other tool and have severa, oval and flat. I am afraid that it just a case of practice. Biggest problem a lot of people have is they treat it like a gouge. You must always start with the bevel and then just plane with the bottom third when turning down a spindle. It gets used for all sorts of different things though such as beads, coves etc. Have a look at some of Steve Jones videos to see what can be done with it. As I said, just practice I am afraid and if possible get someone who uses one to show you and give a bit of tuition.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Thanks for that Pete...

Yep, I'm still trying, but, a dumb question for you.... I've seen many
youtube videos of skew-work. Some have the long point up. and some have it down.
I tend to have more success with it up, but, is there a 'proper' way ?

Thanks - regards - Jim

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »
If you are planing along a spindle the short point should be down. You use the long tip mainly for making slots, parting off ore slicing along the end grain but that is perhaps a bit further down the experience line LOL. Have a look at some of these videos and watch a master at work.

Pete

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
Pete, thanks again for the reply.

I just watched the first one where he lathed a ball with just the skew....just
totally unbelievable !!!!! and, it was perfect size to the template !!!

I'm gonna go lie down before I look at any more....just amazing

Thanks, regards - Jim

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
Watch Alan Batty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

as good skew instruction as you will get

Fred Taylor
orchard=woodturners.org.uk

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
Hi Jim
I'm over on the Norfolk coast near Great Yarmouth. I'd be glad to get you going with the skew if you fancy the trip.
In my experience most of the trouble beginners have is down to sharpening. Bevels with single planes, either flat or slightly concave (from the grinding wheel) is imperative... even slightly convex or, worst of all, multi-facetted and you are asking for trouble.
There are any number of ways to use the tool so there's no single 'proper' one. We all tend to use the one we feel happiest with. Best to concentrate on understanding what you are trying to achieve and building on that than trying to learn parrot fashion from someone else's biases, experience's and opinions.
The width and shape of tool is unimportant to learning but the largest area of bevel behind the cutting edge is the secret to easier understanding of what's going on at the coalface. This normally means going for either narrow and thick or, more usually, a wide (and harder to sharpen successfully!!!!) version.
My final piece of advice is to dump any idea of by-passing the skew or seeking an alternative. In my opinion mastering the skew is the key to moving from beginner to intermediate status. Not because the tool itself has any magic properties but, as you are finding, it just aint easy and motivating yourself to succeed is what will carry your turning forward and upward.
I hope some of that helps.
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Hi Jim,

Where you say -

When 'it's working' for me, it's great but then just seems to go
uncontrollable even more than my skew work (which I am
still practising slowly and unsurely haha).

I can almost see what you are doing wrong, overreaching from your stance position.

If you get a sharpie or similar and draw a line down the centre of the skews length, you need to keep the cut below that line. If you seem to be doing okay and then lose it, it's almost certainly because you've moved your hands too far, caused the skew to turn or move above the centre line (balance point) and Ooop's, a catch happens.

Another trick is to use the sharpie and colour in the bevel on the underside, then when you've made a cut, turn the skew over and see where the black mark has been burnished off. That will show you where you are cutting, again, you need to stay in the sweet spot about 1/3rd the way up the edge from the lower point,

Lastly, even experts get catches, they just have fewer and fewer as they learn and have learnt how to control them by feeling them develop and adjusting the cutting angle before it all goers wrong.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 12:52:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions.

You are all basically saying the same thing ie, keep going with the skew, so, I shall put
the Spindlemaster into hibernation for a while and do as you say. 

I'm spending time with the youtube vids, but really liked the ideas from dr4g0nfly, thanks...

Also, the ideas from bodrighywood were well received, thanks...

BrianH, thanks very much for your comments, and particularly the invitation. I'll
keep that on the back burner for a while if I may, meanwhile, if you're in the Peterborough
area at any time, give me a shout and the kettle will be on.....but thanks again

Regards to all - Jim

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
Ihave helped one or two people with using a skew, and the problem for them was they gripped the handle to tightly. Try this for your self, just hold a skew, no lathe started!, and then grip it tight and watch the tip, it will rotate slightly causing the bevel to lift and the edge to cut deeper, and dig in. You need to learn to let the tool do the work.
A load of good advice above, just practice and learn to relax and let the tool do the job.
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
Use your fingers not your fist.

Pete

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
Axminster with Colwin Way, a skew expert, has a one day skew course at their skills center - if that helps
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:59:18 AM by Dancie »
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Wow, another three replies....!!!  Top Class Forum !!!!!

Thanks chaps, I'm taking in all these ideas and appreciate
your replies.

The LadyOfTheHouse is off today until tomorrow to see the
Cliff Richard concert in London, so hopefully, I'm gonna
get some undisturbed time in the garage..

Interestingly, no-one came back with any thoughts on
the spindlemaster...maybe I'm the only one hahaha

Thanks again guys, have a nice day. Regards - Jim

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
Thoughts on the Spindlemaster: Just my opinion
1 It will not guarantee 'no more digs' as it claims
2 As it is oval on one side and flat on the other all it is is two style of skews in one and probably confusing, I haven't used it so just an opinion
3 The rounded tip would not be particularly easy to use for planing IMHO but could be easily reproduced with a standard skew if wished
4 A lot of money to spend on something that basically is unlikely to improve your skill level

Pete

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
Hi
I must put my pennyworths in, get rid of that other thing  and concentrate purely the flat skew with just the corners
Rounded over , get some softwood knock the corners off with a spindle roughing gouge  and do some planeing cuts with the heelof your skew build your confidence up get comfortable with it  when you have finished note the finish it should get better each time you use the same skew. Also mind you speed. Not to slow .
Also the skew does not deserve the reputation it has like a lot of things in this life we have to learn how to use these things properly ? Not throw them in the corner cussin and swearing and blame the tools when the fault lies with ourselves for not taking the time to learn how to use them properly.
That can all be summed up in one sentence learn to walk before you run.
No more statements like the dreaded skew be positive work at it one step at a time  please remember some of these Turner's on this forum earn there living by using the skew.
Good luck practice practice and more practice.