Author Topic: Will I be taxed selling things I've made?  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Petworth

• iron
Will I be taxed selling things I've made?
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
Hello! I've been getting into turning and made some cool things from it, and was wondering - should I be paying tax on money I get from selling stuff I've made? I ask here hoping someone's been in the same situation and has an answer! :) I've been using this tax calculator to figure out what I'd pay, and while it isn't very much at all it'd be nice to know if I have to or not. Also saves HMRC getting antsy at my undeclared income!!

Cheers :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Will I be taxed selling things I've made?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
If you are selling work then ypou should be registered as a sole trader and submit am annual tax return.This can be done online.If you are still earning a wage then this can result in you getting tax rebates or, if you are amazingly successful selling, having to pay tax. It means that you can claim for anything that relates to the 'work'such as tools, wood and other materials, etc. Be aware that if you do shows, even the church hall varieties tax inspectors can and do turn up at them to check that you are in fact registered.
I keep a running spreadsheet throughout the year of my income and outgoings which is sent in with the online tax return and that suffices or at least has for the past ten years.

I have heard that you don't need to register if your net income is less than £1000 but I would check this if I were you.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
I have heard that you don't need to register if your net income is less than £1000 but I would check this if I were you.

This is correct. :)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »
As Pete said keep a spreadsheet of all your sales and all your expenses. This includes cost of shows, mileage when using your car for you woodturning work. You will also be able to claim your running costs of your workshop. Your insurance. In fact anything to do with your woodturning should go down as an expense. This could include taking a lesson or going to a woodturning show.

Your soon be making a lost  ;D ;D ;D 

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Petworth it is obvious that you are an honest person or you would not have asked the question. And I know this is raking over old coals for many of the members here but if you sell your work and do not declare it for tax purposes you are doing the professional turners a disservice. If the taxman thought that all woodturners avoided paying tax on their sales we would be in great trouble. Honesty is the best policy.

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
This includes cost of shows, mileage when using your car for you woodturning work.

You need business insurance on your car. You'll also need public liability if you're doing craft fairs etc.

Oh, and you'll need to organise business waste collection - you can get hefty fines for using your household bins for business waste.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
You should have pubic liablilty any way if you are doing shows. Decent organisers won't accept you without it. Not expensive anyway, I pay under £50 a year for £5m coverage includes coverage for demonstrating, tuition etc as well. Also doing shows you should have any electrics such as lights, extensions etc pat tested. You don't ned business insurance on your car unles you are claiming it as company  vehicle. You can claim mileage to and from shows in any vehicle. Business waste depends on wether you are registered as a limited company or a sole trader I have been informed and if I take it to the local recycle place I usually get told to just chuck it in with the rest and to be honest most waste is shavings which you can get rid of for free via freecycle or some equivalent. Wonder how many of the 'hobby' crafters we would see at shows if they all adhered to the rules LOL.

Also just to put you off LOL. Don't sell t light holders or candle holders without non immflammable inserts and don't sell electric goods without a pat test on them, do be aware of using different woods and finishes for different purposes as some can be toxic. Always remember that if you sell something to someone you are ultimately responsible if harm comes to them irregardless of whether they are misusing etc. 'This peanut butter may contain nuts syndrome' is alive and well.

Selling is far harder and more work than making.

Pete

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
As I understand it from my Insurance Company, if you use your vehicle to travel for the Business and/or transport goods, i.e taking stock to a Gallery or Craft Fair then you require the relevant Business Use Insurance.

Richard

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
As I understand it from my Insurance Company, if you use your vehicle to travel for the Business and/or transport goods, i.e taking stock to a Gallery or Craft Fair then you require the relevant Business Use Insurance.

Richard

Maybe it has changed. I'll check on that. My initial guidance from the insurance company was that it only applied of I had registered the vehicle as a business asset which I haven't, it is registered as a private vehicle..

Pete

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
You don't ned business insurance on your car unles you are claiming it as company  vehicle.
No, you need business cover if you ever use the car for business purposes. So anything you'd claim mileage on will obviously count as business use.

It's no major expense anyway, maybe another £30 or less a year in my experience.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
You don't ned business insurance on your car unles you are claiming it as company  vehicle.
No, you need business cover if you ever use the car for business purposes. So anything you'd claim mileage on will obviously count as business use.

It's no major expense anyway, maybe another £30 or less a year in my experience.

And presumably you could claim all (or at least a proportion) of the cost of the business insurance as a legitimate business expense.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »
Not exactly, if you claim a mileage rate [45p/mile] then this covers Fuel, Tax, Insurance, Wear and Tare, Maintenance, Parking etc etc.

Richard

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »
Don't forget products liability insurance too.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Once you start to try to claim expenses against any income, it's very important to get some professional advice from either HMRC or an accountant on what you can actually legitimately claim.

Taking advice for anonymous names on an internet forum is potentially very risky.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 11:18:02 PM »
Once you start to try to claim expenses against any income, it's very important to get some professional advice from either HMRC or an accountant on what you can actually legitimately claim.

Taking advice for anonymous names on an internet forum is potentially very risky.

I agree but also, based on info I am reading here ro car insurance, check periodically as it seems to change quite a lot over time.

Pete