Author Topic: Wire holder/winder/tensioner/straightener gadet thingy!  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Wire holder/winder/tensioner/straightener gadet thingy!
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
Every once in a while I put a few turns of copper wire around a vessel, which looks good, but can be an almighty pain in the neck to apply. The coil of wire has to be supported to allow it to run freely without getting any twists in it, but more than that, it needs to be kept in tension and the slightest wrong move results in slight kinks, which look awful.
Well, this afternoon, enough was enough. I gave up on a vessel I was applying the wire to because I was making a mess of it, so I built a little gadget which does the job well. Mounted in the tool rest banjo, it holds the coil in exactly the right place. The coil is free to rotate, so the wire feeds off it without twisting, then passes through a hole just 0.5mm wider than it. Next it slides between two wooden blocks, the lower of which has a tiny groove to keep the wire moving in a straight line, whilst the upper piece of wood is screwed in place, putting pressure on the wire and tensioning the whole thing... and as a bonus, taking even the slightest kink out of the wire.
The pot is held in position between centres, onto a reversing dolly and the spindle is locked, then a little pressure from the tailstock holds the workpiece still until I choose to revolve it by hand.
It worked a dream.....so why the heck didn't I think of it a long time ago?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wire holder/winder/tensioner/straightener gadet thingy!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
Half the fun of turning is coming up with answers to problems like this. Now patent it and you could market it LOL.

pete
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:51:07 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »
So anyway, I've got this 3 phase motor that needs rewinding....!

Love it, ingenuity at it's best.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
....I've got this 3 phase motor that needs rewinding....
...sorry Bryan, I have only 1.5mm wire in stock. No good to you, I'm sure! ;)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »
Les as Pete said half the fun is solving the problems. I made a bowl about 3 weeks ago with wire on it and experienced the exact same problems. So I guess now after I have done the next couple of shows I will have to build your jig. Thanks for sharing.