Author Topic: POWER FROM MOTOR  (Read 6625 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
POWER FROM MOTOR
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »
Hi

Does anyone have figures for the actual power taken from say a 1HP motor for the average sized workpiece?

Perhaps someone with access to a clip-on ammeter could do some checks. I'm pretty sure it would need a big piece of wood and a heavy cut to reach full load.

At our club's tuition sessions we sometimes have all our nine lathes in action.

Tony Malin

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: POWER FROM MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
Hi Tony,
I remember with my old lathe the inverter had a programmable current limit which was set just above 1hp (I think it was at 3.2A) and if I tried hard enough I could make the current limit kick in and stop the lathe but under normal use, it didn't happen.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi

Does anyone have figures for the actual power taken from say a 1HP motor for the average sized workpiece?

Perhaps someone with access to a clip-on ammeter could do some checks. I'm pretty sure it would need a big piece of wood and a heavy cut to reach full load.

At our club's tuition sessions we sometimes have all our nine lathes in action.

Tony Malin
Hi Tony,
One horsepower in modern parlance is 750 watts, and most motors are referenced by their input power, not the physical output. On that basis the maximum input current would be 750/240 Amps, so 3.125 Amps. However, I am guessing the point you are trying to establish is the current under certain loads which is almost impossible to determine unless, as you suggest, you put a meter in line. But you should be allowing for worst case scenario. I would certainly not be trying to allow for nine lathes working off a single 13A supply. Allow 4Amps per lathe and you should be ok. But now you need to check the ring main supplying those sockets. Old wiring used 2.5mm cable, capable of supplying up to 21Amps TOTAL, newer wiring uses 4mm cable and will be rated at 30Amps. In either case, you have capacity for nine lathes, even under heavy load.

Whatever you do, please avoid using multiway adapters. Each lathe should be plugged into its own 13A ring main socket. If you have to use multi-sockets, make sure they are very high quality and are rated at 13A. Most are only 3 or 5Amp. That's where most people come unstuck and create a fire hazard.

And of course bear in mind that the initial start current can briefly exceed the running current. That is one reason an inverter's limit is set in excess of the 'normal' value. Mine are set at 6A, well within the limit of the supply but ensuring there is enough power to get the wood moving. But I only have two lathes at most, running at the same time.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
Hello Tony

As this is a complex area I would get some professional advice from a qualified electrician if you are worried. 

Cheers Dave

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
Oh dear I've done it again!
I AM an electrical engineer. Dealt with motors from 1/4Hp (140W) to 300 MW.

I only asked the question because the organisers of an exhibition were concerned about the demand from a number of lathes.
Seems they're now satisfied they can cope.

BTW I intend to do some measurements when I instal a smart meter. Sorry to have caused so much bother.

Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Tony,

they say the only stupid question is the one that's not asked. You asked a question that I'd never have thought to ask, and it has lead to a load of useful information that I and I'm sure many others will have have learnt from,

Thank you,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
Oh dear I've done it again!
I AM an electrical engineer. Dealt with motors from 1/4Hp (140W) to 300 MW.

I only asked the question because the organisers of an exhibition were concerned about the demand from a number of lathes.
Seems they're now satisfied they can cope.

BTW I intend to do some measurements when I instal a smart meter. Sorry to have caused so much bother.

Tony Malin
Hi Tony,
I know what you mean, but I agree with John's comment, what harm does it do to ask a question. I am feeling a bit embarrassed now that you say you are an electrical engineer, as you already knew what I said, but it set me thinking about power consumption in my own workshop, and I am sure there will be others reading this who will stop and think about their situation. That's what forums are all about.
Hope the exhibition goes well.

Regards,
Paul
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »
Thanks for a bit of encouragement.

No one has yet queried my ref to motors of 300MW (Megawatts). They are the ones at Dinorwic hydro power station in N Wales. They are reversible synchronous motor/generators. They generate when the water flows down then pump it back up to the top reservoir at night. They'd turn a tree or two.

Maybe someone will email me for a copy of the Hillbilly Power Saw I mentioned several weeks ago!!

On a new topic I've noticed the German WT Forum is much livelier than this one. Some of the pictures are great. However Google's translation into english is not very reliable.

Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
And my old 'Army German' is probably worse!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
That   Dinorwic power station is something else I visited it a few years ago. Vertually full power at a few minutes notice, and available for an hour. Ideal for half time cup of tea on cup final day.
John
John English

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
If all the lathes are variable speed, the one problem you might find is that you get nuisance tripping if there is an RCD (which is quite likely these days!).  The inverter drives usually have mains filters which cause some earth leakage. If I remember rightly, a 30mA RCD should not trip below 15mA to avoid nuisance tripping but at this level, all it would take would be 2mA leakage from each of the 9 lathes. If this does become an issue, splitting the load across different circuits protected by separate RCDs might be a solution.