Author Topic: Old hard drives  (Read 4883 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Old hard drives
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »
My son had an old hard drive that was due to be dumped so I decided to take it apart (as you do) to see if there was anything of use inside.
The disc itself is metal (not sure what) and is just the right size to make a drilling jig for earring stands. There are two very strong magnets, stronger than rare earth magnets that I use for holding verniers etc on the side of the lathe.
 I've taken a few apart now and even got a few quid at the scrappies for the casings. How about that for recycling?
John

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Old hard drives
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
Hi John,

The magnets are feat just like from the oldd video players, I used to use them in the bottom of the fish pond to keep back the weed & algea growth.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
Re: Old hard drives
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
My son had an old hard drive that was due to be dumped so I decided to take it apart (as you do) to see if there was anything of use inside.
The disc itself is metal (not sure what) and is just the right size to make a drilling jig for earring stands. There are two very strong magnets, stronger than rare earth magnets that I use for holding verniers etc on the side of the lathe.
 I've taken a few apart now and even got a few quid at the scrappies for the casings. How about that for recycling?
John
Please be careful using the disks. Some of them use a glass substrate, not aluminium, so could shatter into nasty slivers. As most drives will have several platters, I suggest taking one and, wearing suitable protection try and snap it. Aluminium ones will bend, glass .....
Apart from that, great suggestion. My workshop is covered in little magnets!
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts