Author Topic: Two pieces  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Two pieces
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
I am making a piece for our club competition and left it in the conservatory to let the paint dry forgetting how hot it can get in there as I placed it there last night. Anyway when I looked this morning the paint had bubbled and left it in a right mess so to console myself I decided to go and turn a couple of pieces that I promised my dear old Mum 95 years young.

The first is a chestnut pot with a cross but not sure about the pyro work on it.

And the second is a Plane bowl London plane that is I kept it simple with an slight undercut bowl

C & C welcome

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Two pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
Derek I like both pieces, I especially like the clean shape of the second bowl. I think your pyro cross could benefit from being outlined with a razor tip burner on your pyrograph. Good effort though.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
Derek I like both pieces, I especially like the clean shape of the second bowl. I think your pyro cross could benefit from being outlined with a razor tip burner on your pyrograph. Good effort though.

Thank you BHT.

I definitely need more practice with the pyrography machine. I tried to keep the bowl shape simple because of the grain in the wood

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
G'day Derek
I particularly like the bowl; the simple lines, the figure of the grain and the finish all come together beautifully.
Must be some good genetics in your family with your mun still going at 95.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Thank you Tony. Just hope I can keep going that long

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
Trying to pyro chestnuit is never going to achieve a clean edge as the grain is too soft. You need to keep the temperature down and work the edge over and over to get a reasonable line with woods such as this. What you have done wkith the cross is a pretty good result for this wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
I like the shape of the goblet but agree with BHT that the pyro work outline needs better definition.

The Bowl however is great. The balance in the grain really stands out and make it look stunning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:54:03 PM »
Thank you all. Yes I knew that chestnut like some other woods is not the best thing to burn on.

I am however very pleased with the grain in the bowl better than I was expecting when I picked the blank up, but then that is the fantastic thing about turning wood sometimes you just don't know what will expose itself(the grain that is).

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
couple of nice pieces there Derek, not too keen on the cross but just my opinion fella
all the best
Andy
regards
Andy