Author Topic: Advise re Dust Extraction  (Read 121 times)

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
Advise re Dust Extraction
« on: April 16, 2024, 11:16:47 AM »
I have the Herald lathe and do smaller work i.e. spindle and bowls/platters to around 250mm max.  I have a Sipp chip collector which is fine on Table and band saw but useless at the lathe.  I have a Trend Pro helmet.  I'm 81 and returned to the hobby, which I'm loving after many years.

I have been looking at the Camvac CGV286-3 Compact Extractor and the AC400 Two Stage Air Filter.  My workshop is divided in two with interconnecting door, the woodturning part is 2'4 x 2.00 (8'x6'6") and 2.0 m to wall height, 2.6m to ridge.

Can  any turner who operates with similar equipment advise on  suitability  I really don't want to make a mistake on this one.

Thanks in anticipation
David
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:51:08 PM by David1942 »
Born again woodturner

Offline cpw01

• iron
Re: Advise re Dust Extraction
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 04:16:42 PM »
Hi David
You do not seem to have had much advice. I have had a Camvac for over 10 years and would recommend it. We have recently bought several for our club’s workshop, one per lathe.
If as you say you only need it for sanding, then the smallest with one motor is adequate in my opinion. Each motor draws a kilowatt so if you go for two you may need to consider your power supply rating with the lathe running as well.
With only sanding you will need to clean off the filter bags long before you get much in the drum. If you don’t do this the suction of the inner bag breaks the webbing on the plastic cage.
By putting a pipe on the exhaust, you can reduce the noise considerably. You can pipe it outside or as I do in cold weather direct it to my feet as it produces hot air.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Colin

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 12:03:56 PM »
This is a hard question to which answers have to be quite specific to your needs and I am sure there are very few that would say they have it sorted in their own workshops 80% and above satisfaction is normal for a well sorted system..

But your timing is excellent! Record Power are doing a live video on this subject tomorrow. to get invited to watch go to https://recordpowertv.com/ It will obviously be all about the camvac systems but I am sure you can get better educated to make better choices from watching it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:04 PM »
Get as much extraction as you can , Dust in the air is bad news , You can't buy new lungs.