Author Topic: Hunter Osprey #2 Carbide tool  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Hunter Osprey #2 Carbide tool
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
http://huntertoolsystems.com/product/2-hunter-osprey-tool/

I just took delivery of my first dedicated carbide tool, although I have a similar cutter in my Lyle Jamieson hollowing jig this is my first foray in a gouge format.
This is a well balanced, with a functional if a little plain handle, the metal shaft and fittings are well engineered its a tool that works very well, having a bevel under the cutter allows users to quickly adapt to the various cutting attitudes from light shear cuts to heavy hogging out. The finish is great off the tool and requires minimal finishing. I got it to use on wood / resin hybrid blanks and a mirror like finish is easily achieved.
Not the cheapest of tools but if you can warrant the investment it is a universal gouge equally at home on spindle or faceplate work. No sharpening of course and the 8mm cutter is easily replaced when required.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Hunter Osprey #2 Carbide tool
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »
Not sure what the difference between this and many of the hollowing tools is? You say no sharpening. How come? Must get blunter with use surely?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
Carbide tips cannot really be sharpened with anything other then CBN wheels or diamond sharpeners. Carbides for tool use are general either titanium carbide or tungsten carbide, with a hardness similar to corundum. They do stay sharp for an extremely long time, and usually the only way to blunt them is by brute impact, i.e. they don't take kindly to being dropped on a hard concrete floor.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
I have a couple of Mike Hunter's carbide tools, including the Osprey. The carbide tips work exceedingly well - just ripped out some end grain yew with absolute ease using a Hunter carbide tool.

The tips get blunt but Mike's advice is that you just turn them a tad before you use them and you will always have a sharp edge.

There's a new Hunter tool coming to the UK soon which will be an essential item in all our tool boxes. The square shank on the new tool provides a lot more stability when hollowing.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
The carbide tips are rotated randomly to give a sharp edge and eventually replaced, I was a little skeptical at first but now having used one I am converted.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
These look extremely similar to the Simon Hope tools, the cutters look identical. I can't see why they attract such a premium price.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Me neither the sum of the parts is not expensive, however like most quality tools it will last longer than I so good value  ???

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
I have a Hope one, no real difference that I can see. I have also made my own for a fraction of the cost. Not as fancy though. A bit of bar, a grinder and a drill. Tap the hole and there you have it. £5 plus the cutter. We can all sort out a handle.
The Hunter ones do look the dogs danglies though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:43:24 PM by crazylegs »
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline JohnHewes

• copper
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »
Hi, Crazy, I have tried this with round carbide tips bolted to the end of an old scraper and suitably profiled to provide clearance under the tip, however the results have been disappointing. Have you done anything different to that?
John

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
.....round carbide tips bolted to the end......
It may be significant to note that there are generally two types of 'carbide tips'. One is a simple flat plate and works like a scraper, the other is almost cup shaped (as on the Hunter and Hope tools discussed here), these cup shapes cut like the end of a gouge rather than scrape.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
I have a couple of Mike Hunter's carbide tools, including the Osprey. The carbide tips work exceedingly well - just ripped out some end grain yew with absolute ease using a Hunter carbide tool.

The tips get blunt but Mike's advice is that you just turn them a tad before you use them and you will always have a sharp edge.

There's a new Hunter tool coming to the UK soon which will be an essential item in all our tool boxes. The square shank on the new tool provides a lot more stability when hollowing.
I have to say it will not be an essential item in my tool box.