Author Topic: Ball jig  (Read 5930 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Ball jig
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
I have a commission for the new year for 200+ balls in three different sizes. I have done these one or two at a time free hand but for this number think a jig would be a good idea. Any tips, ideas etc to make one up from you inventve people please?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
Re: Ball jig
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
The best solution I've seen is Paul Howard's jig https://www.paulhowardwoodturner.co.uk/jigs-and-things/ , really solidly made. I tried the Easy Pro jig sold on eBay, but returned it for refund, not very well made and the slack in the components made it very 'catchy'.
This something I've looked into for a while and you can see more than a dozen different ball/sphere jigs linked to no my 'jigs & tips' Pinterest page https://www.pinterest.co.uk/paul8863/tricks-jigs-and-tips/

I've tried home made jigs with varying success, but will buy the PH one next year (it's sold at a discount at some shows). If you value your time, it ought to be worth the outlay.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »
Thank you Paul.
As it is likely a one off commission the outlay, though no doubt good value, would perhaps be a bit much to try and pass on to a client. I'll have a look at your pinterest and see if there is anything there that I can make.

Pete

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
I'd expect it to hold it's value very well, I've never seen one offered secondhand, so might be worth buying then selling straight on afterwards.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
That's a thought. Thanks

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
Pete get in touch with me as I have 2 shop made jigs that you can either look at to make your own or alter to fit your own lathe. If you want to call in to the workshop let me know as I keep the gate secured these days and will need to unlock it for you.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Thank you John. I'll email  you. I don't need to make them until the new year, get Christmas out of the way first but I woukd like to make my own if I can. Not something I am likely to use a lot after this but worth having around kif I can.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
We had a demo at the Avon & Bristol site a couple of months ago.

The demonstrator (I cannot be sure of his name but possibly Gerry Marlow) had a ball turning jig but instead of a scraper to cut the wood, it actually held a spindle gouge. Made a much better cut and needed little cleaning up afterwards.

He had to rotate the flute to cut each side of the sphere, but that took a couple of seconds in his jig and was worth it for the time saved sanding.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
what's the sizes you have to make pete???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8gVf9UjV4

i made my jig to turn my skittle balls 4" and up in diameter but if they are smaller then perhaps you could include a ball turning jig in the cost.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »
I got the Paul Howard rig, and he made a custom mount for the VB36 bed bars, it is a brilliant bit of kit and very well made, cost effective , well it will last longer than I do so I guess its an investment and will cover up to 12" plus balls.

The picture if it uploads was a beta test version Paul made prior to the final supplied version.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:30:17 PM »
i just watched this vid on how it works and i'm not that impressed for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmzD8wI8RIA

still looks very weedy to me which was why i made my jig as mine is solid steel.

how much is the jig stuart???

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
still looks very weedy to me
I had a serious pull at it at the Red Rose show in Daventy this year and there was virtually no discernible play at all, hugely better that the Easy Pro I sent back. Wish I'd bought one there and then.

Price ? now £187 inc UK p&p, but at Daventy there was a special show price I can't fully recall, but a worthwhile saving.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
good to hear that there is very little play as it was the clamping area that i was thinking of.

i thought an 8mm bolt sounded thin and could not tell how strong the clamping plates are.

i went belt and braces for mine and came up with this. a 3/4" bolt welded to a 1/2" plate with an extra 1/4" welded to is so it would glide between the bars.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:20:35 AM by seventhdevil »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »
Times like this I wish I had payed more attention to metal work in  school. I have borrowed a home made jig that I can make and adapt to suit my requirements and have time to experiment. Thanks for all the guidance and advice people.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
pete, i didn't make mine as such but i designed every aspect of it and oversaw it's manufacture with a friend who has a fabrication business.

if you've any mates that have the facilities to help you make your own then it's time to buy them a few pints....

here are all the aspects of mine.