Author Topic: Record Power RP2000 Compact Scroll Chuck advice please  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Bern01

• iron
Record Power RP2000 Compact Scroll Chuck advice please
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm just starting so will appreciate advice on this chuck please.

I am starting to turn using 5 x 1 1/2" bases ( I'm making small lamp bases).

I have a SIP 01488 beginner's lathe which has a 3/4 16 TPI spindle.

Will the SP2000 hold my 5" blank (after I've turned it to round) while I gouge a 1" diameter centre?
Shoul I also get the
Wide Gap
Or
Remount tool.

The photo is of a Beech base I turned on the SIP using
Their wood turners chuck (to turn to round and face off)
And 4 jaw self centering chuck (to turn the centre hole after drilling out
A guide hole on my pillar drill with a Forstner bit).

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for looking,

Bern

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Record Power RP2000 Compact Scroll Chuck advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
Yes, the chuck will hold it, no problem.
Your description of the process is interesting. The picture seems to show that the lamp base is hollowed out. I'd have to question the wisdom of that. After all, this is a base for a lamp, and I would want some weight in that to counteract any toppling forces. As such, I'd have left it at the hole made by the forstner bit.
Most wood turners will not use an engineering chuck because in order to get any decent grip you have to tighten it to such a degree that it leaves marks (which are then nigh on impossible to get rid off). Typically a piece like this would have the centre hole drilled first, then be mounted on a jam chuck (matching the hole diameter) and held by the tailstock while the outside is shaped. Since this method of mounting pretty much guarantees a flat mount, you's want to start out with wood that has been planed flat and to size on both sides.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Offline Bern01

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
Fuzzy,

Thank you for confirming this and your advice.

Do you have any suggestions as to which jam chucks might be suitable please?
After my first (ever) go turning the piece of Beech I then tried a piece of Lime as I  think Lime is a lot sifter so more easily marked.

I held it in the jaws using a piece of cloth to give extra grip without extra force and either it was beginners luck or this worked as I'd hoped. See attached.
But I do agree that isn't a good practice to continue.

Incidentally the hole I bore with my Forstner I then make larger to a depth of 1/4" at one end and taper outwards at the other as the lamp sits inside the base.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »
Jam chucks are always custom made. They should generally be made from wood that is softer than the one you are turning, so that if the jamming causes any marks they are on the chuck and not the work piece. Google it, there will be plenty advice on how to make jam chucks.
This is a very unusual way of making a lamp stand. However, since it is your lamp stand you can clearly do whatever you want. I wouldn't bother with either of these, as once the lamp is finished, neither will be visible.

Offline Bern01

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Fuzzy,

I'll get Googling this evening.

Thank you for your help, it's appreciated,

Bernard