Author Topic: Sanding Sealer & Oil  (Read 6898 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Sanding Sealer & Oil
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
I've just read a post on FB where the item has been finished with two coats of Danish Oil, then a coat of sanding sealer then two coats of wax.

Surely you have no need to put sanding sealer over oil or I'm I missing something???

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Sanding Sealer & Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »
I've just read a post on FB where the item has been finished with two coats of Danish Oil, then a coat of sanding sealer then two coats of wax.

Surely you have no need to put sanding sealer over oil or I'm I missing something???

Ed
If you're missing something, then I'm missing it, too. Sounds most peculiar to me. I would have thought that the oil would reject the sanding sealer, so if this works, then I guess that the oil would need to be given several days to dry, but I still don't see why it's necessary.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
I think there is a lot of people out there with odd ball finishing ideas. I have yet to see that any one of them actually produces a better finish than another and as far as I can see mixing them like this is all part of the myth. Main thing is that the finish you use is fit for purpose surely? Oil, sealer and wax? What does that do?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
I've just read a post on FB
There are a lot of very inexperienced people on Facebook(and the rest of the internet) trying turning.
A couple of years ago I watched as someone set up a YouTube channel to teach turning having only ever turned two items (badly) previously.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
I saw that as well and asked what the 'advantage' of the process was. Not been enlightened yet. Think I will stick to oil without the sealer.
Michael

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:42 AM »
Somebody trying to be clever and invent the wheel

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
Ed I can't see the logic in that either and to quote you "am I missing something" I must be ;D

Oil, sealer and wax? What does that do?

Pete

Surely Pete you know the answer to that it is called wasting time and money

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »
Ed I can't see the logic in that either and to quote you "am I missing something" I must be ;D

Surely Pete you know the answer to that it is called wasting time and money
[/quote]

Not something I am familiar with Derek, especially wasting money LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »

Not something I am familiar with Derek, especially wasting money LOL.

Pete

I'm good at wasting money just leave the top off a finish and knock it over ;D ;D ;D

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
I read the same post Ed,can`t see the logic in it at all,by all means wax over an oil finish if you want it a little bit shinier,I can`t remember if it said which type of sanding sealer though,if it was a Shellac one that would stick to an oil finish,but a spirit or cellulose one wouldn`t adhere properly to an oil finish and waxing after would drag it off again I would have thought,really can`t see the point of doing that.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »
Well that cleared that up, I could not understand or work out why you would do this.

Eric it was cellulose sanding sealer mixed with cellulose thinners at best my thinking was that this would breakdown the oil put on to the wood.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
This just demonstrates that what you see or hear on the internet/you tube should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are too many people out there showing dodgy techniques and tool control it is just an accident waiting to happen. If you are a beginner you are well advised to join a club and /or take lessons from a professional or very experienced tutor. The AWGB  can supply the details.

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »
Got to say I agree with all of the above. Danish Oil is my predominant finish and if I want tougher & shiny I additionally buff with Carnauba. I also occasionally use thinned Cellulose Sanding Sealer if the project demands a more instant finish. But I have never used both together and I am not tempted to.

Why did someone on FB do that / could there be a possible advantage.

I'm not justify what they did so do attack me - but the only extremely tenuous rationale might be we know and appreciate that the first coat of Danish Oil will substantially sink in to the wood - more so it thinned. With each subsequent coat it is absorbed less. So whilst the first coat is a wood conditioner, sealant (to an extent) and similar starts to build a microscopic film on the surface, subsequent coats continue to seal, grain fill (at least a little) and with enough coats enough of a surface film builds that can have some lustre or shine.

Cellulose Sanding sealer in comparison is (I think) a synthetic lacquer with a spirit carrier.    (try storing some in a glass jar and you will soon see it separates and looks like semi-clear spirit floating over some suspended dust - hence instant grain filler) I strongly suspect that Cellulose Sealer grain-plugs and film builds faster than Danish Oil and soaks in less. The only reason I can image why anyone might apply Cellulose Sealer over Danish Oil is rather than applying 3, 4 or more coats of oil; they instead apply just 1 or 2 at most because those will be substantially absorbed in to the wood, only partially grain plugged and film building - especially if denibbed - then Cellulose Sealer as an instant sealer that has some shine.

Perhaps all of the above is nonsense - I am not justifying it nor advocating for it. Personally I will continue to apply numerous coats of Danish Oil most of the time. Occasionally use Cellulose sealer but never together !     
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
I too am puzzled as to why anyone would do this, and shows a lack of understanding of surface coatings. Any experienced decoorator will be aware of 'cissing', the pattern that appears in a finish when it is applied over an incorrect base, most commonly on a greasy surface. Cellulose based products are incompatible with oils and I would foresee the sealer coat delaminating from the surface before too long, leaving a real mess.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Maccy

• iron
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »
Ive just watched a couple of youtube videos of M. Saban Smith do this when colouring with Intrisic colours (which I believe are waterbased stains.

I think the oil makes the colours more vibrant then he uses the sanding sealer to 'fix' the colours. My theory anyway.

He does say in one of them that the Cellulose sealer reactivates the colour and lets him blend the colours more.
He then puts a couple of sanding sealer coats on before some hampshire sheen wax.

I havnt tried this so am only going on what was on the video.