Author Topic: Food Safe Oil  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Alan Fordham

• iron
Food Safe Oil
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
I am a novice at wood turning so would appreciate some advcie. I have just turned some egg cups and purcahsed some food Mylands Food Safe Oli to treat them. The tin comes with out ant instructions, I cannot find any reference to food safe oil on Mylands web site, and they have not responded to my e-mail for advice. Please help, how do I apply the oil how much etc, etc.
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Food Safe Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:31 AM »
Hello Alan

Welcome to the forum.  I would wipe it one and leave it for about 10 minutes then wipe off any excess.  Leave it to dry - probably a few hours or overnight and then repeat the process. I would have thought that 2 or 3 coats would be sufficient, depending on how much sheen you require.  Cut it back between coats with 0000 wire wool or nyweb/webrax ( a nylon abrasive pad similar to a pan scrub)

Hope this helps

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Although this goes without saying - I will repeat it here.

It's not food safe until it's completely cured/dry.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
If you want a food safe wax you could try beeplenish, a new product to the UK. There's a review on my blog at:

www.woodturningblog.wordpress.com

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
Something we often overlook when discussing food-safe finishes is that most finishes are, in fact, food safe....they are just not CERTIFIED as such simply because of the cost of such certification.
Also something like your eggcups are not actually going to be in contact with the food, only the eggshell, so food safe is less of a problem than something like a dinner platter or salad bowl.
All the best
Brian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
Isn't the Mylands food safe oil just mineral oil? Which will be a non-drying oil. I think it also says something on the container about it being highly refined food grade oil etc. which is where have derived the food safe label from.

Offline Alan Fordham

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
Thank you all for the various bits of information

Alan