Author Topic: Chess set and copy turning  (Read 2212 times)

Offline adamstew

• iron
Chess set and copy turning
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
Hi all

The project that lured me into wood turning was producing a chess set for my son...that was about three years ago, so I've decided its high time I got around to it.

Does anyone have any tips/techniques on how to achieve consistency, for example across 8 pawns (I'm not expecting to achieve uniformity!) I've designed two slightly different sets to compliment each other, but I'd like to keep each pair of pieces in each set as similar and consistent as I can.

TIA
Adam

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Chess set and copy turning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:01 PM »

Hi Adam,
                I remember an article in the Woodturning Magazine this year that should be helpful.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
practice on some firewood or off cuts and then when you have achieved a level of consistency that passes the human eye test then i reckon you can use your project timber to make the pawns.

it might also be handy to make a negative template out of cardboard so that you can offer it up to the pawn to see if it's ok or not.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
On the other hand....put the project off for another three years, have fun doing lots of other turning in the meantime, then three years down the line you'll have so much more experience!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.