Author Topic: Axminster AWVSL1000  (Read 5827 times)

Offline adamstew

• iron
Axminster AWVSL1000
« on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »
Hi folks,

Has anyone got any experience or views on the Axminster AWVSL1000 lathe?

Finally getting around to converting part of my garage to a workshop, and this has come up on eBay near me for £330.

Just wondered what people thing of the brand in general, even if they've no contact with that specific lathe.

FYI:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awvsl1000-woodturning-lathe-501268

Cheers
Adam

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Axminster AWVSL1000
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 02:52:57 AM »
750 watts is not very powerful , also you can only change speeds with the lathe running ( Variomatic drive ) , can cause problems if you forget to lower speed when starting a new project , Just fitted a out of balance lump of wood , press start and the speed is a lot higher than you wanted = OMG run for the hills or TURN IT OFF QUICK , PHEW !  ;D

Also if it used its not much of a saving on the new price

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 06:27:21 AM »
Hi Adam

I've got one in my collection of lathes, they work ok, but as stated the speed control is the thing to look out for you can only change speed with the lathe running.

This is not the end of the world but you need to make sure that your not mounting an out of balance log and turning the lathe on at full speed.

Ed

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
The other thing to bear in mind is that Axminster's hobby range is only design for the machine to be used less than 2 hours a week, 100 hours annually, which is bad enough if buying new worse on a second hand unit if you cannot guarantee its usage

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
I had the earlier version of this lathe called the CCBVSL 1100,had it for seven yrs,,like the others say,you have to make sure you turn the speed down before you turn it off,the one I had was very reliable,one drive belt replaced in that time,my soninlaw has now and its still in use 4 yrs on,I found the 1 HP/750w motor quite powerful against some better quality lathes I`ve tried of the same power output,the stand will need beefing up,as when heavy or out of balance wood is put on,it walks about a bit due to the flimsyness of the stand,if you can get some thick gauge square tube steel and make some legs,or buy some castiron legs and make them fit it will be better,it did all I wanted of it in the time I had mine,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world