Author Topic: Three more finished  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Three more finished
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Three pieces from the workshop 1 for a competition 1 as a present and the last for my sales stock.

The first is tulip wood and was started at 4pm one day and completed by 6pm the next including drying times don't normally attempt that.

The last 2 are spalted beech. I know people don't like the beads on top because of dusting but what the hell I am not the one that will be dusting.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Three more finished
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »

Think the first piece is very Innovative and Retro Derek...... Like it ...... In Fact Like It a Lot.

No 2..... Got to agree on the beads .... but that does not detract the eye from a very well turned and finished bowl.

No3...  That` s a nice and simple bowl Derek... shows the wood off very well .......Like simple when its a nice piece
               of wood
               Kind Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
I'm very much of a mid with Tony & Di.

The first bowl once would have put me off, but the use of colours, paint, gesso etc has changed that in me. The effect of the holes and the finish give it a great look and it's something that you could do with a poor piece of timber that might be unusable in any other way.

Similarly the beads on the second bowl give an effect beyond a plain rim.

It's probably the photography on the third bowl, but the picture of the underside, the finish looks a little thick and not quite rubbed back, as I said, it may just be the way the light shines off of it but it does detract just a little from the overall effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
Thank you both the first was just an experiment that needed to be complete for a bit of a friendly comp which I had left to the last minute. Not the best way to make something.

I'm very much of a mid with Tony & Di.

The first bowl once would have put me off, but the use of colours, paint, gesso etc has changed that in me. The effect of the holes and the finish give it a great look and it's something that you could do with a poor piece of timber that might be unusable in any other way.

Similarly the beads on the second bowl give an effect beyond a plain rim.

It's probably the photography on the third bowl, but the picture of the underside, the finish looks a little thick and not quite rubbed back, as I said, it may just be the way the light shines off of it but it does detract just a little from the overall effect.

Like you I never liked the idea of covering wood completely but tulip wood being quite a bland wood is ideal forthe process and as I have been given quite a bit it is ideal for experimenting with and using as jam chucks.
The last one is the same colour as the second with the beads and has only sander sealer and a buff with the chestnut buffing system.
The same as the two completed today.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
Loving the black holey bowl Derek no doubt I'll see it Saturday  :)

The spalted Beech bowl are also very nice, but the black one wins it for me.

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
Although I appreciate all the other comments on the black holey bowl, I have to say it's not for me. Just looks a little too plasticky. That's personal taste, mind you.
I much prefer the other two bowls, and I find them equally pleasing.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
The black bowl in my opinion the holes seem out of proportion  for the size of the bowl , Love the idea though something completely different

The spalted bowls are very nice , my preferred turning is the one without the beads  :)