Author Topic: Powdered metals and epoxy resins and there use  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Redtails3

• copper
Powdered metals and epoxy resins and there use
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »
Hi
Has anyone had any experience of using powdered metals
And epoxy resins ? Do you need to use epoxy resins? The powdered metals
Is there not a alternative in food colouring dyes
Thoughts please

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Powdered metals and epoxy resins and there use
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
I have used powdered metals together with epoxy resin. It doesn't have to be epoxy resin, anything that will bind the powder together and bond with the wood will do (e.g. wood glues). The advantage with most resins is that curing time is shorter, and (depending on the resin) the colour of the metal isn't impacted by the colour of the resin.
If you want a decent metallic appearance, you need to have more than 50% metal content in the final mixture. Ideally this should be has high as 75%, but it requires a resin with quite low viscosity (i.e. quite liquid), and a medium setting time, as you will need to do quite a lot of stirring.
Food colouring dyes have completely different qualities, so I am not sure how they are comparable at all.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
I use powdered metals a lot to fill cracks, etc also powdered glass and, if you can get them powdered gemstones such as turquiose. I use them with CA glue though as I find that resin is more difficult to use, probably just me as others seem to have no problem.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
I use super glue to bond my metallic powders have tried other mediums,but they never look as good when finished,I wouldn`t use food dyes as they are not UV stable and fade in as little as 3 months in full sun,yes have done it so know from experience,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
I use super glue to bond my metallic powders have tried other mediums,but they never look as good when finished,

Eric.

So it isn't just me then. I found that using resin the result always looks a bit plastic like whereas using suerglue the result looks like pure metal. I also use various sawdusts this way. Make sure you coat the surrounding wood with sealer first though using super glue as it does darken the wood if you aren't careful.

Pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:43 PM »
I use both super glue and two part epoxy resin.

If I'm filling small cracks I use the super glue, but if the crack is large or if it a hole then I use the epoxy. The trick with using epoxy is that you really have to load the powder in till you have a stiff paste. If you don't put in enough powder then it does look like resin sitting over the top of the powder.

Ed

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »
I use the powdered metals brass, bronze etc, mainly non ferrous. As for glue, I prefer CA or super glue as I find using resin its hard to get the full metal look. Whereas using thin super glue you can get  the full metal look as if you have poured the metal in the wood.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
If the crack / hole / split is large I fill it part way with wood dust and CA glue then top off with the appropriate powder. Like Hughie I seem to get a full on metal lok with the CA glue whereas with resin (for me at least) it is a more plasticky look.

Pete