Author Topic: Fire? What Fire?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Fire? What Fire?
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
At the BBC Countryfile Live event I met Nigel Coope, who makes wonderful chairs for a living (look him up). Since he was also on the caravan park, one evening we decided to have a barbecue. He brought out all sorts of off-cuts from his chair making, including a piece of oak that I deemed what too good to put on the fire, so I out it to one side and promised him I'll make him a piece from it. Here is the result.
It's about 6" tall and 4.5" diameter. Body and lid are made from oak, the finial is a piece of wood that could me some kind of maple (I got it from Steve Earis a while ago, and cannot remember the species).  The body is scorched, brushed, sealed, then rubbed with copper cream and sealed with acrylic lacquer. The scorching seemed appropriate, since it was destined for the fire. Hence the title.

As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Fire? What Fire?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
really nice work there mate.

think the maple may have been snakebark maple?

the only other ones i have are sycamore and field maple where the pores are not really visible but i think i can see some in that finial so i'm guessing it's snakebark.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »
I like the pot very much indeed, the copper gilding goes well with the charred oak, and I like the profile of the finial - it reminds me of Mark Sanger's series of works with the white-swan-shape, but what I don't like is the fact that the finial has been made in low-relief, rather than having been carved fully in the round.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
Fuzzy,

I think the base could have curled under a little more, to make it float above the surface rather than sit on it, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with the shape.

Great scorching, just enough for the colour, but leaving enough to make the applied copper burnishing cream develop all the different shade you'd want.

The finial, being flame shaped adds to the fire effect, did you think about making a couple more with slightly different shapes and mounting them all together to make it look like a dancing flame.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »
At the BBC Countryfile Live event I met Nigel Coope, who makes wonderful chairs for a living (look him up). Since he was also on the caravan park, one evening we decided to have a barbecue. He brought out all sorts of off-cuts from his chair making, including a piece of oak that I deemed what too good to put on the fire, so I out it to one side and promised him I'll make him a piece from it. Here is the result.
It's about 6" tall and 4.5" diameter. Body and lid are made from oak, the finial is a piece of wood that could me some kind of maple (I got it from Steve Earis a while ago, and cannot remember the species).  The body is scorched, brushed, sealed, then rubbed with copper cream and sealed with acrylic lacquer. The scorching seemed appropriate, since it was destined for the fire. Hence the title.

As usual, all C&C welcome.
very nice looking piece there Fuzzy and a very apt title.

Rgds

Gary

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Like it the finish looks great

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »
Thanks everybody for the comments. This piece has now been handed over to Nigel, and he was very chuffed with it.
I think I will make a few more and explore the reactions of different types of wood to the scorching, and also how different creams will work with the scorched surface. As far as the finial is concerned, to be honest, I never really thought about making it from a solid piece (although it's an obvious idea, now it's been pointed out). And yes, I'll also play around with the shape a little.