Author Topic: AWGB Approved Tutor Course  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
AWGB Approved Tutor Course
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
I am looking for some advice either from someone involved with the course or someone who has been on it ( preferably both :) )

Bearing in mind I am registered ( but not totally ) blind I am toying with the idea of showing the joys of woodturning to other visually impaired people. ( we call them VIPs :) )

Does anyone have any thoughts on the viability of doing this course ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: AWGB Approved Tutor Course
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
You do the course yourself on your PC so you can go through it (or some of it) to see what you think of it.

You can download it or run it from the website if you follow this link http://www.awgb.co.uk/instructor-training/

Once you have done the course you can decide if you want to do the assessment.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
Yes, I have been looking at that. The course itself would not be the problem, it would be the assessment and whether I would need to, or be able to, take my own lathe if I need to do some of 'yer actual turning' :)           
Regards
Graham

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
I think most assessments are done where lathes are already there but if you want to know more, contact John Montgomery.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »
If you can get this off the ground Graham I would  be right behind you in any way I can. Having  mentored a blind turner (and learnt more than I ever gave) and worked for a while with a turner in a wheelchair I am all for anyting that will promote turning for so called 'disabled' turners.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
Graham I'm not sure where you live but I see you are a member of Didcot woodturner. That is only an hour or so from where I live so if I can be of any help please let me know. Although as Pete's post says he already has experienced mentoring a blind turner so you ight be better off with Pete.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
Hi John - I am the one that met you in the car park when you came to Didcot recently and then watched you through binoculars :)

I am interested in getting the 'Approved Tutor  qualification' to give basic introductions to other VIPs but I am concerned that the assessment includes actual turning as I would need my own lathe which has a video and TV attached so I can watch the big image on the screen rather than the little bit of wood on the lathe...... does that make sense ?
Regards
Graham

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
Hi Graham,
I suggest you talk to John Montgomery or Peter Bradwick but I'm sure something could be arranged even if that meant the assessment being done in your own workshop. The assessment is of how you teach others rather than your turning ability but I guess during a normal lesson, the instructor would generally demonstrate the technique for the pupil to copy.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Some one else to talk to would be Bill Mooney who turns and is registered blind, he is around on  some of the forums. He is a member here but has not posted for a while but he can be found on THIS forum
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:41:33 AM by Derek »

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
Hi Derek. Yes I know Bill ( online anyway )

I am not looking for tuition for myself, just info on the tutors assessment. Not that I couldn't benefit from more tuition :)

Thanks Paul. I will contact one of your suggestions when I have gone through the course.  Maybe there would be enough interested around Oxford to do a session in our club venue, you never know.
Regards
Graham

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »
Hi Graham

I've done the course and it's quite simply about 45 minutes. All you have to do is put together a simple lesson plan that last for the 45 minutes. This is made up of safety guides for the turner that you are teaching, then  something like taking a spindle blank to round with the spindle roughing gouge, planning cuts with a skew and a parting cut.

You just work through explaining each step and that's it.

It more about how you put it across and making the actions clear.

Hope that helps, if you want any more details or if I can help in any way just drop me a message.

All the best

Ed 

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Hi

I've looked into downloading this course but my android tablet doesn't support Flash player and I live on a boat so don't own a pc.
Has anyone got a copy that they'd be willing to sell me at a reasonable cost?

Kind regards
Ian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »
Hi Ian,
Most Android tablets say they don't support Flash player but there are packages out there that will allow flash to be used. I did the same on my android tablet.

Try searching online, you should be able to find a solution.

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »
Thanks Paul.
Will do.

Grumpy

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »
Having done the course and become an approved tutor I would encourage  you to do the online course, it is informative, teaching basic skills correctly  very much health and safety oriented, the actual assessment was very daunting purely as we had no idea what to expect, it needn't have been only very basic turning skills need to be taught, the priorities need to be.
1. Health and safety (absolutely paramount) be prepared with all PPE for both you and your pupil.
2. Communication
3. Lesson Planning
4. Turning
If you follow the course and prepare the assessment will be no problem