Author Topic: Comet  (Read 2224 times)

Richard Kennedy

Comet
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »
Sycamore with gilt paste and lacquer. 150mm x 60mm

Made for a new outlet near my home town. I decided early on that I was going to use gold leaf for the flames however as I finished the work I had a change of mind mainly due to the problems associated with applying the leaf. I have gilded pierced pieces before and always run into the problem of having drips of size run into the pierced holes and as a result once the leaf is applies I get patchy areas on the interior of the holes where flakes of leaf get stuck. Its like having gold fuzzier! I had one piece go spectacularly wrong when fed up with trying to poke the bits out individually I used a toothbrush and scrubbed the gold off the face of the work. So anyway I decided to go back to a method I had used before I had ever tried gilding, gilt cream the result is a finish that isn't as bright and shiny but that I think works well with the sycamore. I like the slightly more muted tone it provides. Time will tell if I made the right decision... Thanks for looking

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Comet
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »

This one we really like Richard.....ticks all our boxes .... Finished with finesse
       Kind Regards
       Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Great elegant design and form Richard and a superb finish. I see exceptional pieces like this from time to time and find myself envying the creativity and thought process shown. The piercing is even, neat and appears to be square to the face, the gilt cream compliments the sycamore without shouting out. Excellent piece, thanks for posting.
Cheers Rick

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »
Superb, outstanding
Thanks

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:07:21 AM »
That looks different Richard and very effective I like it a lot.

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
Lovely piece! I actually think the matt effect of the guilt cream works a lot better than highly shiny gold leaf. This must have taken a fair amount of time getting all the piercings right.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
another great piece Richard,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
Muted tones :) it works for me. It reminds of South East Asia, namely Thailand.