Author Topic: Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations  (Read 26087 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
Alan, we are exploring the possibilities. Just checking we have the kit and will then sort out the best location to use. Have also had a Skype chat with Lyle to discuss what he would demonstrate.

Watch this space!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2016, 01:16:58 AM »
as a new demonstrator to the group I find it good to have a audience in front of me. it is part of the demo. our club also record the demo and any one that gets there late or  cannot make it can borrow the dvd and watch it at home.

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2016, 03:31:04 AM »
Wider,

It's worth noting that in remote demonstrations, the presenter can see and hear the audience...  it's a two way video call.

Also, when one is new to demonstrations, reviewing video recordings of practice sessions can be very useful in fine tuning the material and presentation.

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2016, 03:46:59 PM »
DJ,

I don't know if my private messages have been getting through to you.  I don't see anything in my Sent folder, so I just want to make sure you know that I had replied to your earlier messages.

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »
Hi Alan

Have tried to contact you a couple of times within last 24 hours

David

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
David, it looks like the private messaging is finally working for us, take a look please.

Also, if anyone else is interested in getting their club set up to receive remote demonstrations, drop me a note and we can chat about the options.

Thanks,
Alan Z.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »
It's been a while since I posted on this topic. We had to find a new venue which had all the AV kit we needed as our normal venue has wifi, but we cannot access it.

We had a trial run a couple of days ago at our new venue and it was good for me and my Events Organiser to see Lyle Jamieson live from Michigan. The test worked well with video and sound OK from Michigan and likewise back to Lyle from Epsom, Surrey. Using the Zoom system we got a good quality connection.

The kit in place in the UK is computer, large screen, projector, roving vid cam and wireless mike. Lyle can see and hear who will be asking questions during the demo!

Lyle's 3 camera set up allows for every possible angle to be coveed and the overhead camera is superb! Even our IT colleagues at the venue commented on the quality.

The demo is set for 12th April 2017 and the topic will be the hollowing process. We will need to ticket this event as we have limited accomodation.
The attached picture was taken on my mobile.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
David,

I'm glad that things are progressing nicely.  Lyle has embraced the remote demonstrations, and it's been fun mentoring him so he's more comfortable with the technology.

A few days ago, Lauren and I did a 2.5 hour jewelry turning demo from our home in New Jersey to the Maui Woodturners' group in Hawaii, a mere 4,900 miles from here.  Two demonstrators in two different floors of our home makes for some interesting technical challenges, and it all worked out fine.  With picture in picture, the audience could see what both I and Lauren were doing at any given time.  Cool toys!

So far, the feedback I've been getting about the remote demos that have been taking place has been very good, and I look forward to hearing your experiences.

Of course... if you want an 'eccentric' jewelry demo for your group, you know where to find me.

Happy holidays, one and all.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
Just posted this elsewhere on this Forum:

Cheam Woodturners are pleased to announce that Lyle Jamieson will be doing a live remote demo from his studio in Michigan to the UK on  Wednesday April 12th.

The demo will commence around 3pm and continue for approximately two hours.

The venue for this event will be Epsom College, College Road, Surrey, KT17 4JQ  and tickets are available on a first come-first served basis.

For more details or to enquire about tickets,  please PM me.

This is probably the first remote live demo booked by a UK woodturning club so why not come along and experience the meeting of woodturning and new technology. The attached article gives some background information but do also see the article in WT issue 302.

“Interactive Remote Demos using live video” article  used by kind permission of the AAW and American Woodturner.
David
At The Cutting Edge