Author Topic: Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations  (Read 26082 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
Interesting topic, apart from a lack of IT knowledge. There will be a cost factor, although many clubs in Australia have fairly sophisticated set up  to convey the demo to the back of the room so to peak. As the well known demonstrators will command a decent crown 75-100 where facilities allow.
Distance is not usually an issue its just a part of life of living here In Australia and we accept that. I.e I drove to Sydney to Emerald in Queensland to pick up some exotic timber and back 3000k round trip one way is 16hrs nonstop. A bit far but acceptable considering what I was after.
We do have what we call GTG's  meeting in various locations, often its the same workshop as not everybody is open to sponsoring this sort of event or have the facilities. They are a very laid back affair with some serious turning thrown in its not usual for a well known turner to come along if they live local.
One of the downsides of doing remote is the personal contact . The eye contact and the general camaraderie of the event adds much to the value for the individual. Plus during the various breaks everybody can and does mingle, chat etc , many solid friendships have been developed at these times and ensures the demonstrator a good response and time if they return.
We are all human and if a good time was had by all then all will return should the occasion arise again in the future. I the idea of remote viewing is a good thing and it has a part to play in this craft.
 But I doubt if it will supersede the personal demonstration of a well known and respected turner, as in these meeting there is teaching and also imparting that takes place.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 04:52:08 PM »
I agree that the break time chat and camaraderie would be missed but this is a good way to see those turners you might not get to see otherwise.

It is a new way of bringing demos to clubs so there will  be a few things to iron out but the tests done so  far  here in the UK  have had good results. I'm sure AlanZ will comment on longer distance events as I know there have been some.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
As the AWGB is the main body for wood turning in the UK would it be possible for them to acquire and lend out or rent the equipment to demonstrators willing to carry out transmissions from there own workshops
Also put it on their web site showing demonstrators willing to carry out transmissions from their workshop
This would open up demonstrating to clubs like the one I am a member of that is based in the North of Scotland
If we were to ask a demonstrator to come from say Yorkshire that is a round trip of 780mls
From Somerset 1030mls round trip
For a one day demo that would include two nights stay over
I can see the point where clubs in the southern half of the UK are not to keen on the idea but there are clubs in other parts that cannot afford to take demonstrators to their clubs due to the travel and overnight expense

This is only an idea I had

David

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
I will be trying out a system this winter when I have some spare time. This may be at my home workshop as I have fibre broadband here, my main workshop has only 1.5mb broadband. 

David Ross do you have broadband at your club. All you would need is a projector and screen and a video recorder to focus on your member who would ask questions. At my end I would need more equipment to transmit the views form different  angles.

I can see even in this country it is worth a go.

Philip

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »
Philip,

Good to see someone willing to try this out - it does work, based on the experiments we have performed already.

Please add Cheam Woodturners to your list of possible clubs to remote demo to. We are trying to get our broadband access sorted so we can take advantage of the new ways.

Alan Z will give you all the advice on equipment you need, both in your shop and at the venue.

David

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »

I will be trying out a system this winter when I have some spare time. This may be at my home workshop as I have fibre broadband here, my main workshop has only 1.5mb broadband.

David Ross do you have broadband at your club. All you would need is a projector and screen and a video recorder to focus on your member who would ask questions. At my end I would need more equipment to transmit the views form different  angles.

I can see even in this country it is worth a go.

Philip

Hi Philip At present we do not have broadband at our club but at the next committee meeting I am hoping to get approval to have it installed
I am also hoping to get in contact with Alan Z

David

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2016, 02:12:50 AM »
David R.,

I replied to your email the other day... Did you get it?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2016, 08:28:04 AM »
I appreciate that moving with the times is a must. I can also see that those problems that occur can probably be overcome (we are woodturners afterall)
One of the problems I would have in my workshop is the lack of distance that I would have between the lathe and the camera. And I know a comment will come back about moving my lathe but realistically that is not an option.
       I suppose eventually, when all the teething problems have been sorted, half a dozen clubs would book an online live demonstration that would allow the demonstrator to hire a more suitable "studio".
 Once enough clubs get broadband sorted out there could be more inter-club interaction now surely that has to be a good thing?

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
I don't understand what you mean about the lack of distance between the lathe and the camera.  In my (very small) shop, all cameras are within arm's reach, so I can reposition them easily.  Did you view the video at the beginning of the message thread?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
"Once enough clubs get broadband sorted out there could be more inter-club interaction now surely that has to be a good thing?"

Good idea, BHT, I hadn't thought of that angle. We can do conference calls via Skype so that would be one way we can link the clubs.

We're still working on broadband access at Cheam.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
I don't understand what you mean about the lack of distance between the lathe and the camera.  In my (very small) shop, all cameras are within arm's reach, so I can reposition them easily.  Did you view the video at the beginning of the message thread?
Alan basically I cannot get the other side of my lathe to look through the camera to set it up, I know there are ways and means around it but just have a look at the picture of my workshop in last monthe woodturning magazine, you will see that I have to face the wall when turning  and there is nowhere to put a camera. Not sure if the focal length of the lenses in use today will cope with it either.
Dave the other thing that could develop is woodturning organisations like the AWGB or RPT for instance paying for a demonstrator and then getting multiple clubs to subscribe to the demo, thereby covering the demonstrator's costs and possibly making a small profit on the side.
            Actually this could be the answer to the cost of having demonstrators at a club, half a dozen clubs "chip in" cover the demonstrator's fees and any incurred expenses and it would work out cheaper per head>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:41:58 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
TBHT,
All of my cameras are reachable from my side of the lathe.
Remember that most of the cameras I use are webcams, so I am viewing them on a computer mounted above the lathe, no need to get 'behind' the camera.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:55:26 PM by AlanZ »

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
I use two different types of webcams, one has a 78 degree angle of view, and one has a 90 degree angle of view... both are pretty wide.
They focus to about 2 inches... so these are very flexible in close quarters.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
Just seen this in the AAW Journal in case anyone is interested in booking a live remote demo.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline AlanZ

• iron
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »
Lyle is quite enthusiastic about doing more remote demonstrations.  He feels he can do a better demonstration from his shop than he can at a typical club venue.  Also, it's nice to see a turner in his/her own shop environment... there is much to learn by just looking around the setup.