Author Topic: Nova 3000 extension bed wanted  (Read 3095 times)

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
Nova 3000 extension bed wanted
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:44:48 PM »
I've recently bought a secondhand Nova 3000, the original one not the DVR version,(thanks to Wood spinner for the 'heads up' on the ebay sale).
One issue with it is that it's it doesn't have a great distance between centres. Does anyone have a spare extension bed they no longer need and would be willing to sell ?

Getting one new seems likely to be very expensive as the only one I've found advertised is the other side of the world in New Zealand. Shipping a big lump of cast iron like that is likely to cost a lot, assuming they're prepared to offer that option at all and actually do have one in stock.

The final option looks like building one from scratch. Probably much cheaper than the NZ option and would allow a longer bed length too.
Anyone tried this before ?

TIA

Offline duncanh

• iron
Re: Nova 3000 extension bed wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
I used the extension designed for the DVR XP with my DVR 3000. Buy some plate steel to fit under each end of the existing bed, the plate at the extension end needs to stick out enough to support the end of the extension - you can bolt it to the plate. I also had a length of wood under the free end of the extension, although I'm not sure it was necessary.
When fitting the extension in place put the tailstock between the 2 and it should align them well enough.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
I used the extension designed for the DVR XP with my DVR 3000.
The DVR beds are different to the old 3000 though. They might fit, or be persuaded to fit, but if it's a lot of trouble I might be better off building a longer bed myself for less outlay.

A secondhand bed would be the best option if there's one available.

Offline duncanh

• iron
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Yes, they're different but the gap between them the ways and the width at the top is the same (unless they've changed the design yet again). The tailstock and banjo moved freely between the 2 different beds I had and there wasn't any noticeable movement in the bed when I had it set up. The main issue in connecting them was that the holes for attaching joining bolts in the end of each bed don't match up. The metal bracket and wooden support at the end was enough to support the extra bed without any problems.
If you have the lathe mounted on a bench then adding this extension should be trivial if the bench is long enough.
If you have it on the stand it was sold with then it's some extra work.
Some people also made wooden extensions for occasional use.

I have my old bed up here and it hasn't been used in several years. I can investigate how much it would cost to post if you're interested. Not sure how much it's worth these days

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
It sounds like using the newer bed is 'doable' as the lathe is on a fixed bench.

I'm in no great rush, so I'll keep an eye out for a s/h one for now and hope I get lucky.