Author Topic: Demonstrator for Convention in Spain  (Read 2948 times)

Ronwicks

Demonstrator for Convention in Spain
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »
The XIV Meeting of Spanish Woodturners takes place from the 22nd to 25th September 2016 in Xermade in Galicia, Northwest Spain.  It is the largest annual Woodturning Convention of the year.

This year they are seeking a demonstrator with any unusual technique, speciality or way of doing a piece that has not been demonstrated there before.  The nearest airports are La Coruña or Santiago de Compostela and transport, full accommodation and meals and translators will be provided.  The demonstrator need not be a full time professional.

As their liaison contact in U.K. I will be pleased to answer any enquiries or information required.

Ron Wicks

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Demonstrator for Convention in Spain
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »
Wow, what an offer.

Who's offering their skills.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Ronwicks

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »
Can someone suggest a technique, procedure or other speciality, and even better, a demonstrator?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
Ron, what about one of the French guys?

Alain Mailland, Benoit Averly or Jean-Francois Escoulen?  Jerome Blanc from Switzerland is good.

As for the UK, how about Nick Agar ?

If you want to go as far as South Africa, then John Wessells always does a good and interesting demo.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Ronwicks

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Thanks for suggestions but these French demonstrators have already visited, perhaps several times, so they are seeking something new.  Unfortunately, for some reasons, they are not able to plan even a year ahead so everything is left to the last minute, and this frantic search.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Hi Ron,

It all comes back to me - some things never change as I recall we had only short notice when we sent Colin Simpson over.

I think you might get an email  with some suggestions from another contact of mine soon.

Good to hear all those guys have been to Galicia - shows how good that show is. I hope it is on the Turners Without Borders and International Wood Culture Society radar.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Ronwicks

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 07:12:52 AM »
David,

Things have moved on considerably since Colin Simpson's visit.  Then the Convention then was attended by some 25/30 turners. Now it is probably some 350/400 or more as no records are taken of those attending as entrance to the demonstrations is free.

Apart from the original As Pontes Club there are now at least 5 other clubs around Spain mainly associated with the main supplier of turning tools etc. TornyFusta

There is still no national association of woodturners, perhaps partly from the need of dedicated people to start it and then masses of gov't red tape.  One was formed but due to personalities and conflict it never really got going.

Unfortunately the death of Fernando Verez some three years ago deprived them of one of the Encontro organisers and probably their finest turner, but overall the standards of turning are now exceptionally high. The Encontros are still very enjoyable, stimulating, friendly and relaxing events and well worth the effort of attending. 

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Ron, you and your Spanish colleagues are to be congratulated on the growth of this event!!

One other name that comes to mind is Chris Stott. He does a very  good demo on making small boxes and of course, now lives down in Almeira, so fairly local!

Chris was one of the reasons I got into turning and I had the pleasure of reminding him of this a few years back! His reply is not repeatable here!

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
Mark Sanger is one of the best demonstrators I have seen

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Ronwicks

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
Success at short notice - Jason Smith is now in contact with the organizers in Spain with a view to attend.

Thanks for the support and advice