Author Topic: Candle Sticks  (Read 6857 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Candle Sticks
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »

As I've mastered posting images, here's a pair of candle sticks in Ropala Lacewood, 5.5 base x 14 high (138 x 256)

Not the best of images, this was the only clear one, so will have to work at that too..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Candle Sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »
These are well turned and again i like your design. This is the type of work to help new turnere with there design.

Sorry to here your lost some photo on your computer.

Philip

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Hi David,Nice pair of Candle Sticks it is difficult to get them identical.I remember someone when asked (if they could make a pair of something) he replied "I don't do Pairs but I can make you Two" These are super and I think the design and finish is spot on. Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
Hi David,
            for some reason I do not associate Ropala with candle sticks I don't know why because these look really good.
    I like the shape
Regards
John

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
Hi David,
Good design and well turned - like them very much.
I will have to have a go at making some - maybe suggest it as a monthly project at our club.
Regards
Ken

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

Thank you all for your replies and such nice comments.   Had the enlargement image worked for you all..    ???....

Philip, The pairs are easy, after you've made 4 legs a few times, newels, ball caps or post acorns, it's down to sizing and layout and if you work to the width of your parting tool, 1/6, 1/4 or 3/8 for fillets or major junctions the rest fall into place.
My photo's..  >:(..  some unknown reason the computer reset over night, at first it looked as to been just the bookmarks, later I found when I wanted the Canon site and images, all referance had gone, so much for the wonders of this age..   ???...    need to scan my photos sometime for uploads, good job I've some early work in pictures.

John,  I'll have to remember that one for the next time I'm asked for a pair or more of something, it made me laught, nice one.

John, I was not sure about the Ropala, it was the only dark wood, if nor brown I had in at the time and I'd 2 blanks and long square in a good size, must have been planed.. ;)..  once I started cutting the figure came out and added to what was hoped a simple design, which worked.

Ken, It's not that hard, just size each piece the same, transfer all the marking out on to both from your full size drawn out design, the result a matched pair, with maybe a little adjustment.
Good idea, a small tester for the Club members, it could be candle sticks or open to any matched pairs of turnings, could make it a project for 2 or 3 months, even more and it's good practise too.  It's how these came about, they were for a Club night.

Once again thank you all for comments.      David

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Nice matching pair, classic shape and I like the heavy base to avoid tip over.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »

Martin, Thank you for your reply, there is always reason to somethings and with the base, the Ropala has such nice figuring, I designed to leave as much of it as I could, as well as not liking to waste that much wood off an over thick blank in the first place and as the holder with larger than a standard size hold, it would not ttip over as you've mentioned.

Regards.      David

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Hi,

A very nice pair!

One thing - I notice you have set the brass cups (is this the correct terms?) on top rather than set them into the tops.  The brass cups I have got to date seem thin and I would be worried that a less than perfectly vertical push when fitting the candle would bend them as they are only held via a single screw through the base.  Is this an issue or are the cups you have used made of a good thickness of brass?  If so, where do you source them from?

Anyway, nice job.

Simon

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »

Hi Simon, Glad you like them, thank you.
The inserts I have were got from Yandles sometime ago, but they were Home of Wood-Turning, which is Craft Supplies;  http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/IB065-4..  it took me a moment or too to get the page, I trust these are the same as the one I've used, I ones have are fairly thick, the rim must be about a 1mm.
Trust I've been of help.           David

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks for the info and link.

Simon