Author Topic: Plans for a Stool  (Read 9033 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Plans for a Stool
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Hi A Lady has asked me to make her a Stool it must be 24" high with 4 legs does any one know where I could get any plans I was really interested in the angle of the legs and positioning of the stretcher bars.Or should I just do what looks right? Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Plans for a Stool
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Hi John, If you can get hold of Keith Rowley's book Woodturning, A Foundation Course, he made a bar stool, at 25.5" high, top 11.5" x 1.5" finished size.

The legs are from 2" sq stock and cut 25.5" length (finished size), any large dia. are max 1.3/4", foot 1.1/8", as is the top shoulder which is 1.1/8" from the end with pin dia. of 7/8" (pin is 1.1/8 long).  there is reference to 9" & 10.5" from end of foot along, this is the location for the for upper/lower stretchers.  (cut 5 legs, as I found a split in one which I'd turned, to find another to match could be problem)

Angles for seat/leg 7 degrees, so would be 83 deg. splay from 90 deg. upright, outward, legs for stretchers are at 5 deg. so 85 deg. on the top side..

For the stretchers 1.1/4" sq stock, upper strether 8.7/8" long, lower 9.1/8" long, finished at 1.1/8" max dia. tapper to give a parallel of 3/4" from each end to have a  5/8" pin.

There are details to on the jig and setup for drilling the holes, other than by sight or luck.

Sometime since I'd made one, so hope to have you going in the right direction and the book, as it's good to work from a plan and details, all the best.

David
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:48:22 AM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Hi David, Thank you for the information I will get the book out of the Club Library tomorrow night it is our meeting night.
                                                                            Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »

Hi John.   It's the New Edition which has it in.  All the best.

David

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »
It is also in another of Keith Rowley's books:  Keith Rowley's Woodturning Projects published by GMC publications in 1996, pages 76 to 85.

Tim

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
Hi John
Nick Arnull made one in Woodworking a few months ago, may be a bit longer. Full set of plans with it as well. Good luck.
Roger G

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Roger,David & Tim,I knew I could rely on members to come up with the answers.Regards John :)
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
John,  how's the stool coming on, how soon before we see pictures...   ;) ..

Cheers.     David

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
Hi David, I have made my mind up how I am going to make this and the Wood Ash I am still Waiting for the Lady to send me a picture of the one she has because she wants it the same.But I am not pushing this at the moment as I am tied up on other things at the moment.When completed I will post a picture.Thank you for your interest.Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Oh John,   that's a bit of a different ball game an actual copy... any chance of getting hold of the stool, better to work from it, than a picture, can you get exact measurements, no presssure on this one..

Hum..  know what you mean as to tied up at the moment..  hundred other things...   ??? ...

Take care.   David

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »
Hi David I may have misled you,it doesn't have to be an exact copy only like the one she has which is scrap,The problem is she has no transport and to collect it from her with the price of Liquid Gold at the moment would put the cost beyond her.Regards John   
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
All's clean John, you got hold of the book ok..  Ash is fine for it, I've still got some from a job that in the end didn't happen..   ???  bad thing was they were to supply the yew for the seats, which they had, maybe, would have been nice, oh well if one rushes in..  always use it for something, if get a moment..   >:( ...

Hum...  yep Li(quid) Gold, gounded me too..

David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »

John,  did you ever get to make the stool,  still watching for it.

David

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »
Hello David, I never did get round to making the stool the lady changed her mind maybe she saw one cheaper at Ikea. Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

Oh John,  that would of been such fun to make, maybe you should make one even if you can't find a home for it, you could always use it yourself in the workshop or for visiters.

What price handmade, we've no chance against Ikea, the number of outlets now you see with cheap wooden bowls etc.    >:( ...

Cheers   David