Author Topic: Having seen John's  (Read 5920 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Having seen John's
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
Having seen John's post and having commented, got me looking for my photo's, I'd only film, as I'd lost all my latest Digital work with a comp. crash..  Thankfully for the wife, I been able to take a fresh, if not poor photo of one remaining of an early batch..  so here is...  
    the wife's.. at the time it was to be alot more, but I ran out of tops and bottoms, only a column..   remaining to copy off..
The design at the time was an alteration to Keith Rowley's.  Size is 5 3/8 high x 3 base x 2 1/2 top (140 x 75 x 63 ) an in American Oak.
So here's my first Gallery image..

David

PS..  Are my images working..    ???.....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:16:42 AM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Having seen John's
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
Hi David

Good design on these, i like the fact that your have shown the stem from the lathe so people can see how to make them.

Philip

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
Hi David,Thanks for posting an alternative ear ring stand,I can see what members were saying about the finial on mine,I also note the different design of your base.Yes your images are working. :)Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
Hi David,
            yes your images are working, made me realise I haven't mad eone of these for ages. I like this one .
Well done.
Regards
John

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »

Philip, Thank you for the reply, we can forget in making somethings, that it may not be easy for others to see how it came about, it could be ideal to put together a WIP as we make someting, I had been doing this and it was these and the record of the work it's self that I lost..   >:(...  I'm still taking pictures of my fresh work, it's just a case of where to store them, host them from.
We're learning all the time, the Club had to run a DVD the last moment this month and it was Cindy Drozda, now that was interesting when it comes to making finials.

John, Thank you, It was seeing your's that I had to check that I still had mine..  ;D..  well the wife did.. it's found no matter what the piece and how much any piece looks the same there is always small differances, it all makes for a copy an not copying a piece, we all add something or refine it in what we make.

John, Thank you and that the image works, it most be that it's my own image as it will not enlarge for me.
I find in making stands, it's more a lack of board, as with all the setup needed for one, I make a batch of as many as I can get from the board to hand, the board for this batch was a little bit thicker  than I needed, which made the base and top thicker than should have been and I didn't want to turn away wood for the waste of it, I can now re-saw any board down, given the time..
Will watch if you turn some.

Regards to you all.            David

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
Even better write a short article with pics and send in to Revolutions.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »

Martin,  Thank you,    I'm slightly lost for words...  WOOOW, something to think about..  I'll not sleep..  I'll read through the current Revolutions, base as to how long/short article, work out what stock I've to hand and start at the begining..  Off to sleep on it, what an idea.

Regards.    David

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »
Don't forget, David, there's a payment you can claim for a Revs article. Lionel Pringle will tell you all about it if you email him.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

Thank's Andy,  I've yet to check my stock and read through the Revs articles, find how you'd want the photos, so will work on it before Aprils dead line..
with a bit a' luck..    :)..     David