Author Topic: Carving chisels....  (Read 2905 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Carving chisels....
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
Anyone have any advice as to the best style of carving chisel for carving long shallow, round bottomed grooves on the outside surface of bowls?  Both with and across the grain if it matters.  Getting confused between straight, fishtail, bent, etc etc......

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Carving chisels....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
an 8,9,11 sweep gauge should do the job ok,8 sweep is the shallowest gauge that I`d use to give a nice round bottomed groove,the shape and surface of the object being carved denotes which of the straight,bent backbent,fishtail etc is used.cutting of crossgrain just requires the tool to be extremely sharp so you don`t get breakout on the crossgrain and making sure the edge of the tool stays above the edge of the groove edge,another cause of breakout.There are lots of books on it,three good ones are,Carving on Turning by Chris Pye,How to Carve Wood by Butz and Woodcarving A Foundation Course by Zoe Gertner,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:18:13 AM »
Thanks Eric, some reading is clearly required!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:19 PM »
As Eric stated for the size 8-9 or 11 I would use a straight in either of them. A bent would be useful for inside a bowl and would not consider the backbent in this instance