Author Topic: What wood would you recommend  (Read 10962 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Re: What wood would you recommend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
The larger mangles had square bars. I repaired one for earlswood museum only last year this had a square bar through it with metal washers on the ends. The bar was not very straight so the sq. hole needed some play to enable me to get the bar through. I was lucky this was only going to be for display so I jointed two grooved blocks together giving me a square hole. The originals were in a solid piece a much more difficult proposition.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
it must have been a hell of a tool or machine to get the square hole through the lignum roller i bought off ebay.

would they use a long pole with teeth on it that turns into a square at one end and just pull it through using brute force??? the roller is 5-6" diameter.

Tom Sherman

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
I believe its a process of using a broach pressing the broach thru a proper sized hole until the shape is correct.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
I believe its a process of using a broach pressing the broach thru a proper sized hole until the shape is correct.

In the same way as rifling is put in a gun barrel, and an amazing thing to watch done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »

In the same way as rifling is put in a gun barrel, and an amazing thing to watch done.

You learn something new every day... Hadn't previously heard of the term.
I know it's relating to metalwork broaching but the Wikipedia article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broaching_(metalworking) is quite enlightening and I'm sure the same principles apply.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
Sorry to steal the thread but I'm an exServiceman who still works to support those serving their country,

This is the baby I look after https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1C1AVNG_enGB613GB613&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=743&tbm=isch&q=as90+firing&revid=755968998&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ1QJqFQoTCMuU196S1MgCFcQ7PgodtWoEwQ

Yes, it is a Gun, not a Tank.

We had some barrels made a couple of years back, amazing to see the craftsmanship involved, some can only be learnt at the hands of a master, like using a huge hydraulic ram, putting an upward curve in the barrel (to overcome the droop caused by only being supported one end) which is done by 'eye'.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
im still selling timber and will have lots up for sale in the near future