Author Topic: One handed turning  (Read 8795 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: One handed turning
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »
Cheers Steve.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Steve.

I can thankfully only imagine how isolating it must be to have a disability and hope I never do. Woodturning has been good to me and it can be a very therapeutic past time, we don't need to turn large or fast and as such it can be undertaken by many as well as those with disabilities.

Some years ago I remember reading an article in woodturning about a blind turner in Israel who had lost his sight from being shot in the head, he produced everything by hand and I never forget it and often tell students about it when they say they won't ever be able to do a certain technique, I tell them 'of course you can do it, it just depends how much you want to do it'

Again thanks or sharing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
The blind turner I mentioned was always mentored in our club for H&S reasons but he used to turn alone at home. He had become blind and the powers that be tried to get him to do some sort of activity such as knitting or sewing as a therapy but he was what is politely trermed as stroppy and decided  to do woodturning. He produced beautiful work and watching him was a real learning curve. Only problem he had was that his guide dog stayed under the lathe while he was turning and got covered in shavings.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
one thing I have to as Steve, not in anyway taking away from the importance of the message you are getting across here is;

can you put a fruit pastel in your mouth without chewing it  :D

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
It's great to see so many replies on my post, it's the whole idea of posting on a forum, to stimulate people into giving their opinions.
Mark the answer to your question is No! and I love fruit pastels.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
Only problem he had was that his guide dog stayed under the lathe while he was turning and got covered in shavings.
My old dog used to lie in the shavings under the lathe, try as I might I could never get her to shake them off outside, she always waited until she was indoors and shook them over the carpet, so I chanegd the carpet for laminate flooring, didn't stop her but it was easier to clean up! :D :D :D :D