Author Topic: An annoying lathe squeak  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
An annoying lathe squeak
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
Hello all, before you read this please remember that theres no such thing as a stupid question, just someone who doesn't know the answer and that I'm new to all this. I have a new Jet lathe, one of the medium size ones, I turned it on for the first time in May of this year so it hasn't had loads of wear. It’s developed a rather annoying squeak, its ok up to 600 but anything above that it becomes more than annoying. The noise is coming from the belt housing and no it’s not a mouse. I've looked through the manual and theres nothing about oiling or what to do with general maintenance, all it makes reference to is to keep it clean !!!  I'm not sure if that means my language. So before I phone Axminster and ask them I wondered if any of you have any suggestions of what to do.  :'(
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: An annoying lathe squeak
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
Possibly belt tension or a dry bearing.
Try slackening the belt right off and run the motor up at least that will eliminate the motor.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »
I know this sounds obvious but just make sure your drive belt is on corresponding pulleys. Also, if you have used an aerosol spray of some sort on a piece mounted on the lathe it can get into the bearings just a thought.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
Many thanks to the both of you - John, nothing is obvious to me about such things. George, If it is a dry bearing does that mean it has to be returned? I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Check also that the pulleys are correctly aligned.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
Many thanks to the both of you - John, nothing is obvious to me about such things. George, If it is a dry bearing does that mean it has to be returned? I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow.

If it is still under guarantee and it is nothing obvious Axminster will pick it up repair and return it.
Their service is first class.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »
Hello, George John and Mark, many thanks for the advice I really appreciate your time. Now so that none of you lose sleep worrying about what it was, I’m glad to say I managed to have a look at it today and I think it’s now all sorted, it was the tension in the belt, just a little bit but enough to create the problem.

I am surprised however that there isn’t anywhere to put oil or grease, I’ve seen that the Record Power lathes have oil ports, I thought they all did.

Many thanks once again and in all seriousness I feel this is the sort of problem a forum is made for. . . . .but what do I know :)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Modern lathes are most likely built with completely encapsulated bearings, which have the grease already inside. As long as they stay closed, you're fine. If one of the seals breaks, you're in trouble. Having said that, these bearings have been manufactured for decades, so there's a lot of experience in the industry to make them.
In any case, these bearings do not need lubrication. Just keep your lathe clean and don't damage any of the bearings.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
Many thanks Wolfgang - Fuzzyturns

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
One of the mistakes people make is to spray the bearings with WD40 in the belief that it is lubricating them, in actual fact it breaks down the grease used to make it all run smoothly and ends up making it run like a bag of rusty nails.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
Very true. In fact, if your lathe does have sealed bearings, there is absolutely no point spraying them with anything, since it won't get inside if the seals are OK, and if the seals are broken you need new bearings. By all means, spray the bed, the banjo, the tool rest, and whatever other parts you like with a protective oil spray (NOT WD40) if you want to keep any rust off, but leave the motor and the bearings alone.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »
I understand that WD40 has been band in the aircraft industry as it is a water disperser not a lubricant and it leaves a powder behind that encourages rust. 

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »
It's not half as bad as those accursed silicone wrist bands in the aerospace electronics sector; they can contaminate solder joints and adhesives.
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »
My Record DML305 started squeeking yesterday - had a look inside and where the belt drive meets the drive shaft there is a grub screw - quick tweak with an allen key and problem solved