Author Topic: Website update  (Read 11014 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Website update
« on: June 30, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
Hi all,
I have given my website at www.creative-woodturning.com a major overhaul which was long overdue! Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think of it.

No doubt there will be further additions and changes when time permits.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Website update
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »
Had a look, very nice, modern and contemporary. The only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the store section. But then, maybe you are still working on that?

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
The basic layout is very good and I agree it is modern, however there are way too many lines of copy . . . . . people / punters wont read most of it and it gets in the way of some very nice lumps of wood  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
A very nice website and, personally, I like the additional info that you've put on it ....but the Curiosities page says "a little insight into the repertoire of the average woodturner"

That would be far better if it said skilled, highly skilled or even expert woodturner. Average woodturners would struggle to turn out work of your quality - and it's still just a dream for me!

Also, as previously stated, the store website is a bit of a shock after the nice pictures on the main site. Perhaps this could be the next IT project?

Good luck with it.

Duncan

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »
To busy for my liking I started looking at it then got bored.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
Thanks George, if you said it was superb I would have been worried!  :P

Point taken about the store, that part is a project for another day. First I think I need to revamp my other website!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
Hi Paul.

I don't want to be negative for the sake of it but having just had another look I think there is for too much information lots and lots of writing and pictures. I just think it could be more condensed .
You should know by now I will give my honest opinion I don't do bull shit
I think it could be cleaner and simpler.

Regards George

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
I'm new to this forum, but it seems to me that so many don’t really want criticism they just desire some form of congratulation. :D
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
There is a subtle difference between criticism and critique. Most who ask for C&C welcome both and are prepared to have people not like their work. If it is personal taste then fine, if it is because of some defect or bad practice then that is how we learn. How often do we all make something and see that it isn't quite right biut can't for the life of us see what is wrong? Posting for C&C helps us see things as others do and can help with that. Those that don't like C&C in any form soon either stop asking or stop posing. Personally I would rather have a straight honest opinion than  obsequious 'oooh that's wonderful' feedback.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
I'm more than happy for anyone to be straight and offer constructive feedback - even George  ;). If I wasn't, I wouldn't have asked!

I have made a few changes to the website based on feedback from here and elsewhere. No doubt there will be more changes in the future.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
Hi Paul, Just staying on the woodturning store, there doesn't seem to be a link back to your home page when you are on the Store Location. When you click on Home you return to the Store Home Page not the site Home Page.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »
PAUL WHY HAVE YOU REMOVED ONE OF MY COMMENTS FROM THIS THREAD ???????????????????????????????????

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
PAUL WHY HAVE YOU REMOVED ONE OF MY COMMENTS FROM THIS THREAD ???????????????????????????????????

what the one about Britney, mine and John's have gone too. It is the power of the Dark Side  ;D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »
yes Mark that is the ones obviously Paul does not want us polluting his thread it is time he developed a sense of humour and stopped being so self important.

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Hi George,
Just for the record, I haven't removed any of your or anyone else's comments from this, or any other thread and as far as I know, none of the other admins have either. If I recall, this has happened to you more than once in the past and each time, no admin had removed anything.

If any of the admins felt it necessary to intervene, the person who had posted the comment would be informed.

Bear in mind that you also have the ability to delete your own comments so it might be that you accidentally deleted it yourself?
I don't know which comment you are referring to but if you can remember what it contained, feel free to re-post it.