Author Topic: Cost of Demonstrations/Revolutions  (Read 37075 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Cost of Demonstrations/Revolutions
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
Learning is an ongoing process and attending one course or even many will not automatically instill all of the tools/skills a person needs to do a fantastic job from the start.  In my last job pounding the beat I went on more courses than I can remember. We had a 2 year probation period in which time we had 14 weeks full time at training school, with practical and masses of theory, we then went out on division with a tutor for another 4 weeks then back to training school for 4 more weeks of intensive training, then back out to division to finish off the remaining two years.

After all of that training I knew it all  :) and can still remember my fist day out, given the car keys and my first job, well it went pants up and I was like a startled rabbit and can remember thinking that even with all that training I still messed up big time. My pride was well dented.

Eventually after many many lessons/jobs attended followed by self critique of every job/scenario, (part of the ongoing training program was self analysis/critique, as well as debriefing by the whole squad) I became proficient and good at my job, still made mistakes, still found it hard but the difference was I then had the tools to know how to put it right when it went horribly wrong.
------------------------------------------------

From my experience demonstrating woodturning is no different.

I attended the first Demonstrator Training Day organised by the AWGB as I wanted to start demonstrating and knew that presentation skills is a big part of getting across any subject. For me it was very useful and well put together.  I learnt masses about teaching/presentation skills and methods, I learnt that one person may absorb information in a totally different way to the person sat next to them, some learn through theory, some better by seeing.

The one thing that I did come away with from the course was a good foundation of skills of how to plan and put across a demonstration, especially in the time given to the course. Not  long after getting ready for my first demo, planned etc as taught, the demo was well received, I still felt like a startled rabbit but got away with it as nothing went wrong  :) :) I had cracked it.  :) :)

The next demo, was absolutely pants, I was sweating like the proverbial, a piece flew off of the lathe, it was awful, I was so disappointed I only asked for my fuel fee, but the club were very kind and supportive, even a very well known seasoned international demonstrator was present watching me and came up during the break and told me not to worry as all including himself have times when things go wrong, he told me of other well know demo's he had been to at big stages where things for others had gone wrong and he said something that has stayed with me ever since ' it is not about the mistakes you make but how you recover from them'.

We all have bad days and attending a single course is not going to make you a wizard demonstrator, indeed I have given over 100 demo's over my short time demonstrating and things still go wrong, now it makes me laugh when it does and we all generally have a good laugh about it.

Knowing your subject such as how to turn is important, but also is knowing your limits and I know quite a few demonstrators who are not as efficient with the tools as our well know production turners, indeed I am a bowl hollow form turner, you won't see me doing many spindle turning demo's as it is not my bag, Richard Findley, Les Thorn,  Gary Rance to name a few are the masters of that field, so I demonstrate the subjects I know and this I believe is important. 

This is an important point for those wanting to demonstrate, pick a subject that you enjoy and know, don't over complicate it, practice, practice, practice and when you think you know it practice some more. I would close my workshop door and talk as I turned and even answered imaginary questions etc, I am sure if anyone heard me they would have called for those in white coats.

Demonstrate as yourself, don't try to be like anyone else, be yourself relax and enjoy it as every one can pass on useful information to others.

Another point which is very important and has been the key stone to my development is the 'support' of every one, both other turners/demonstrators but also the support of the people watching has helped me and continues to do so in my development.

You will always get people at demo's who want to trip you up, ask difficult questions, ect, just be honest and don't BS as I don't think there is a demo I have gone to where I have not learnt something from someone in the crowd.

I could go on and on  :) :) :) yes we know I hear you say  :) :) :)

The demonstrators course was very useful to me, well put together and I learnt a lot from it,that said I am still learning, making mistakes and getting around them. I have watch demonstrations/presentations that were very good where the demonstrator did not pick up a turning tool. !!

It is very helpful for members of clubs to get together at their workshops and demonstrate, talk about it and how to do it better, may be just start off with 3 or 4 members getting together.

Organisation and preparation is the key and we have probably all heard of the five 'Ps', but not matter how much you plan at times things still go wrong. 

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
I have heard on the grapevine that Britney Spears is going to Burnham on sea this year  :D :D :D :D

I have heard she has cancelled as she got 'Twerking' and turning mixed up.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
Hi Mark

Where did you learn don't use one word when a hundred would do Writing up statements I expect. ::)

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
Hi Mark

Where did you learn don't use one word when a hundred would do Writing up statements I expect. ::)

Regards George

well I do it deliberately as I know you struggle with long sentences.  :-*

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
We all know a policeman's lot is not a happy one. Seems to be contagious.

Cheer up George you could always go on a speed reading course.

It's dead easy. Read the first line of the first few paragraphs. Then read the final paragraph.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »
I have been on two speed awareness courses Tony that was fun.
For the first time in my life I have a clean driving licence now and am trying to keep it that way.

Regards George

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
Great post Mark.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2015, 09:55:44 PM »

Hi everyone It seems to me this thread has gone way off course ??? ??? Regards John
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »

Hi everyone It seems to me this thread has gone way off course ??? ??? Regards John
Yes it has John but don't you just love it when that happens? Perhaps we need a category with no title just so's we  can have our rants and put the world to rights. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
It has gone off course but is still good natured so not a problem as I see it.
Stop moaning John LOL

Regards George

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »

Hi John

My long reply with a bit of life history was not only to hopefully get across that it takes time for people to become good at demonstrating (as with all trades all of us here will have been involved with) but also to show that this experience gain his hard won and is also a reason demonstrators should charge the correct fee. Thousands of hours of practice and experimenting to be able to come up with the designs and techniques to produce their work and to expect this at a discount just because people don't want to put the membership fee up by a couple of pounds to £36 as mentioned in rev's is rather an insult.

Yes it has been mentioned that clubs can do without Pro turners, may be so, but at what price,!!  there are many good club turners out there that can indeed turn well, but giving a good demonstration is a skill all on its own !! and the two for me do not necessarily automatically correlate,  this being the message of my previous reply.

However clubs should also get value for money and just as demonstrating skills do not necessarily link in with turning skills, from my experience nor does being a Pro turner necessarily link in to a high quality of work or demonstration.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »

Hi GBH & BHT,
                      Ok I give in ::) ::) ::) Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »

Hi GBH & BHT,

LOL

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »

Hi GBH & BHT,

LOL
;D ;D ;D

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »

No wonder the Head of H & S herself made this comment:

"We are an organisation which enables business activities, including many highly hazardous ones, to take place with proper, sensible and proportionate risk management measures in place. We do not ban conkers, prohibit the sale of cakes at charity fetes, stop school trips or any one of numerous other myths which abound on "elf n' safety".
(Dame Judith Hackett CBE - Chair of Health & Safety Executive)

That remark got a thunderous round of applause from the audience.
David
At The Cutting Edge