Author Topic: Cost of Demonstrations/Revolutions  (Read 37078 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Cost of Demonstrations/Revolutions
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
My insurance policy covers me for doing demos, shows, teaching etc as well as the day to day work in my own workshop. Also is cheaper than the average off the street insurance company.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
Paul
I'm always prepared to be wrong. But please be more specific.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »
Tony,
Your statement generalised based on your knowledge of your policy and certain assumptions about the arrangement made between the demonstrator and your club. Anyone else reading that wouldn't know what assumptions you had made, which insurance company you used or what their policy covered but if they took it on face value, they could think they were covered when they were not.

I'm not going to go into specific detail for reasons previously mentioned.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
Sorry Paul I couldn't disagree more.
My statement was not a generalisation. It was absolutely specific.
When you reassured us that the Tennyson policy covered everything in the Craftman policy it was implicit that member to member was covered.

Now I'll admit the craftsman policy wording was not specific but the broker had confirmed it in writing to me.
Thoroughly unsatisfactory of course. However  in the current wording it is spelt out in words of one syllable.

For the sake of clarity this relates to a club member demonstrating in own club. Guest turners are not covered and need to have their own PL cover.

Please do not confuse advice with statements of fact, and of issues which are open to discussion.

As I've said before you can only rely on the wording of the policy, therefore I regard it as paramount that  the words used are clear unambiguous and not open to interpretation.  Unfortunately there is still a long way to go in this field.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »
Tony,
Your statement made no reference to any insurer and as I said, the arrangement with the demonstrator will influence whether they are covered on the club policy.
As I also said earlier, you can't generalise. Check with the insurer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:57:34 PM by Paul Hannaby »

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Paul
As this is the AWGB forum and I said clubs I assumed it was obvious.

Having clarified that, do you think it would be helpful if the insurer linked the member to member cover to cater for someone demonstrating at another club. Specifically those using the same policy.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
Tony,
I don't know which club you are in or which insurers they use so I can't answer that one. Perhaps you should talk to your insurer.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
Which insurers we use is irrelevant to the question. It would only apply to clubs using the same insurers as one another.

The point was intended to help increase the availability of demonstrators between local clubs.

Well does anyone think it's a good idea? Not that I expect it to happen.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Yes of course it is a good idea.... but.... If one of your members was demo'ing at another club he would probably want paying for it ( all be it a reduced amount ) and that would probably void the insurance.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
Yes of course it is a good idea.... but.... If one of your members was demo'ing at another club he would probably want paying for it ( all be it a reduced amount ) and that would probably void the insurance.

In which case he should be registered as self empoyed and have his own insurance.

Pete

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

In which case he should be registered as self empoyed and have his own insurance.

Pete

:) You think ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »
Graham
You could well be right regarding payment. To me there is no logic in it. Perhaps someone will tell us where this is covered in the Tennyson Policy, and then the insurer should be required to justify it.

Please note I'm not being devious in not disclosing where I've seen a reference to it in print.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »

Pete

:) You think ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »

Tony.
            For goodness sake ask your bloody Insurance Company they are the experts you cannot expect laymen to give you the answers you are seeking Insurance questions can not be answered by the AWGB "It is against The Law" or are you just playing Devils Advocate  ??? ??? ???

Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »

Pete
[/quote]

Exactly right Pete also my experience of most club members they would not be capable of doing a decent Demo.
As for the AWGB Demonstrator course everybody I have spoken to say it is a waste of time as apparently you don't even have to be a competent turner to do it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything