Author Topic: Wood Tap  (Read 5113 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Wood Tap
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »
Hi all, as some will know I am new to turning but have collected some nice tools along the way - Looking at Youtube, especially the American ones, a lot of them make their own wood threaded disposable chucks.  I have been all over this forum looking for which one to get, I have a Record Power DML305 with a 3/4inch headstock.  I have tried Record and Axminster websites to try and find one but can't seem to locate one, so does anyone know where I can get one and how much?  The ability to make my own one use chucks would be useful as I like to make lamps and have a lot of 'work in progress' and remounting them is a bit of pain.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
Re: Wood Tap
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
Hi

A tap is a tap, whether for wood or metal, so as long as you can find one for your headstock, ie 3/4x 16tpi, then thats all you need. A good source for this type of thing is Tracey tools http://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies What I don't know is whether the thread is unc or Whitworth, although as it is based on a very old English lathe it may be Whitworth...?? But i'm sure someone with some engineering knowledge will be along shortly.

HTH

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
Toolpost do the Beal spindle taps http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Turning_Accessories/turning_accessories.html#SpindleTap

I have one for my lathe and it one of the best and most useful accessories I have brought.

john

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
Brill John exactly what I want and an added bonus they are only a few miles from me!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
I looked at buying a M33 x 3.5 wood tap to make wooden holdings for my lathe, the price was stupid.

Bought a machine tap. Works fine.

Got mine from RDG Tools - www.rdgtools.co.uk
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
I too bought a M33 x 3.5 tap for my lathe and sourced it at a local engineering fastening supplier. Malcolm.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
the RDG prices are about the same as the Toolpost prices when you`ve added vat to Toolpost,tracy tools didn`t have 33x3.5 on their list,but a good range anyway.cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Hi

A tap is a tap, whether for wood or metal, so as long as you can find one for your headstock, ie 3/4x 16tpi, then thats all you need

What I don't know is whether the thre

HTH

Richard

The 3/4 x 16 tpi thread is UNC.

I have a 3/4 x 16 die that I use to clean the gunk out of the thread before mounting my chuck.

MCB