Author Topic: Woodturners Abrasive  (Read 9713 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Woodturners Abrasive
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »

Most of Ax's first available sandpaper was then heavy blue J Weight then 2" wide-ish .. first I'd had having started 20yrs ago, still have some, as others have come alone as mentioned, over time which now use, as with Simons' they are good .. now today an J weight ... http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-abrasive-strip-kit ...

Cheers

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
George,

Sorry, I missed a whole bit out of my last post. To post the comment fully...

Yes Rhynogrip is great stuff, it sticks to the hooks on the inertia sander very well, it's got a good abrasive coating, but it's paper backed. A strong paper grade but still paper.

Cloth backed abrasives are far better for what we do, they are more flexible, J weight  abrasive is still a low grade of cloth backed abrasive available. There are better ones.

As David says, the packs of abrasive strip from Axi are cloth and there was a cloth abrasive very popular before Rhynogrip (and inertia sanders) arrived, I seem to remember it to be Hermes or something like that, but I've never seen a cloth backed abrasive with a looped backing (prepared to be proved wrong on this of course).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
I never hand sand and find the Rhinogrip always works well on the Hope pro sander and I don't think cloth backed would work any better.
For most students because I want them to get the feel of the wood I mostly have them hand sanding with Abrenet which works fine.
Some students I have them both hand sanding and using the Hope pro sander.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
I have tried many of the abrasives available from the main suppliers over the years and have always gone back to Rynogrip Red. It may be paper backed with cloth stuck to it, but it is perfectly flexible for my needs and more than this it cuts very efficiently, last longer than most I have tried and for the price I have found it to be the most cost effective and efficient. Like I say tried many and I always go back to it, as with all things though some will prefer a different brand.

For me it is important to learn to use the tools efficiently so finishing with abrasive is as minimal as possible, once this is achieve then a couple passed with each grit is all that should be needed (on sound wood).   :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:07:44 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
I've always said that woodturners don't use enough abrasive and are therefore are not important enough to have an abrasive designed for them.

Normal abrasives cannot handle the high speeds we subject them to, causing the facets of the grit break down too fast and in effect wear it out.

Having a search though the tinternet I've come across these, they actual;ly say they are designed for woodturners. I've not tried them, they may be just ordinary abrasive mounted on a foam backing, but at the very least, someone, somewhere has identified that woodturners need something different.

http://www.abrasivesplus.com/buy/grip-a-disc-50mm-sanding-disc_86.htm

Grip-a- disc have been around for many years. I believe they were originally designed and produced by Len Piers and later sold by his wife Jill after Len died. I use them on Simon's soft pad mainly for the inside of bowls because the soft foam backing allows them to mould easily to the surface.

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »
Hi

I have found the Rhynogrip to be the best abrasive available, although my preference is for the 'Plusline' which is white, rather than the 'Redline' which is red (obviously!) The Plusline is available 80-400grit and is a lot more flexible than the Redline. It doesn't last quire as long as the Redline, but is around 40% cheaper, and doesn't last 40% less long, so is better value to my mind. The Plusline is available from myself by the way  ;)

Regarding the RPM of a bowl, no matter the size it is still doing the same REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE, but it is going faster the further out, but I guess this would be measuered in feet/metres per second/minute.

Cheers

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley