Author Topic: Jaw types....  (Read 4678 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Jaw types....
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
I'm looking at dovetail faceplates. They all specify jaw types (A, B etc). I can't find anywhere that explains these types. Does anyone know what type standard 50mm jaws are?  In particular the standard jaws that come with the Sorby Patriot, if it makes a difference.

Cheers

Chris

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Jaw types....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
Hi Chris

Not sure I understand the question are you looking for a steel face plate that you screw on to your work which will then connect to the chuck via the 50mm jaws?

If so Sorby do two sizes 80mm and 120mm the sizes relate to the size of face plate but both are held on the 50mm jaws in expansion mode.

If I got what your asking wrong let me know I sell and use the Robert Sorby range so I will be able to answer your question

Ed

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
If I understand your question correctly, I think standard 50 mm jaws with most chucks are C type jaws. Not sure if that helps, mind. Malcolm.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:11 AM »
I think you are talking about faceplate rings rather than actual faceplates and the 50(ish) mm Jaws that hold them are the 'C' jaws. The letter ( as far as I know) just refers to the size and shape of the fitting. If you look on Axminster all the jaws are lettered. I can only assume that Sorby and others follow the same system.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »
Thanks folks.

Yes, it is of course faceplate rings that I am referring to, apologies for not being clearer.  I have the two Sorby rings but need a few more and noticed that other makes are quite a bit cheaper, for example www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/APTC_Chuck_Jaws/aptc_chuck_jaws.html#faceplaterings  and being a tightwad like the idea of saving a few £s.

Probably best to just call them. 

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
if the inside of the ring in the faceplate ring is the same as the outside of your jaws they should fit,
but do remember with Toolpost prices you have to add 20% V.A.T. tax,so they aren`t as cheap as at first looked at,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
The internal diameter of the Axminster faceplate rings are as follows -

A 97mm
C 67mm
F 32mm

I don't have a B faceplate ring to measure but the B jaws external diameter is 62mm

I also have an odd one, which isn't an Axminster ring which has an internal diameter of 92mm and is just too small for the A jaws. No manufacturer or other marks on it, does anyone know which make that one might be?

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
Hi Chris,

The faceplate ring is designed to fit a particular jaw set so if you have the patriot chuck as I do then you will need to purchase the Sorby Faceplate ring to fit the standard 50mm jaws. They do work well (I have a couple), I am sure Ed will be able to sort you out (other suppliers are available) :)  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
Thanks folks, that's really helpful Paul,

My Sorby ring has an ID of 54mm, so none of the Ax rings are a perfect fit.  I imagine they're sized to the 'sweet spot' of the strongest grip?  Maybe I'll just suck it up and splash the cash.

Chris

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
They make either 80 or 120mm rings for the Patriot Chris at about £16 so won't break the bank.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian