Author Topic: Let's Teach Turning!  (Read 38873 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Let's Teach Turning!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
No, the software is Windows only so unless you can run it in a virtual machine on another OS, it won't work.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:17 AM »
You can run a emulator on Linux called shel to run Microsoft windows products.
Hope this helps
Good luck ed let me know if it works please, thanks in advance.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
In view of the file size, it would be useful to have the facility to download from Dropbox or have it sent via Wetransfer to download at our leisure.

I'm currently downloading it now but it is taking around 24 minutes even with high speed broadband.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
If time is of the essence, you could always buy a DVD. That takes less than a minute!

Also, each AWGB branch will be receiving their own copy of the DVD and branch members will be able to copy it rather than download it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »
Does the Insert that comes with the purchased CD contain anything extra?

650Mb, Hope you've got a good bandwidth. It's going to be stretched tight otherwise.

I'll download a copy tonight
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Downloaded now but watch out as firewalls don't like the ".exe" file included in the download and advise you to consider discarding this as it is "not a common download and potentially dangerous". I left the download running whilst out and found that message when I got back plus a unknown.crdownload file which is an incomplete download -waiting for the exe file I guess.

All done now and moved to the desktop to look at later.

David

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
Once past the  firewall, the .exe file gets stopped by virus scan. You have to over-ride your settings to get it through. Install wizard works and the prog installs fairly quickly. So far, so good.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
Firewalls generally don't block transfer requests originated from behind them. The problems usually arise with the PC web browser or antivirus/secuurity settings, which you can override if you so wish but this isn't something we are here to support.

In answer to the question about the CD, it contains the same as the downloadable installer package.

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
I'd be another who would be interested in the best Mac option. Also, we're still in the prehistoric broadband era, 1.2 on a good day, so download is not really an option. I've tried VM in past on the Mac, but never really got anything to work properly. Nothing wrong with VM necessarily, more the numpty trying to use it!!!!

Eagerly await a Mac solution!!
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Andy Coates

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Hello all,

in answer to a few issues raised...

there will not be a MAC version coming...the cost of porting the whole thing over is astronomical. As we have produced this for the benefit of the whole woodturning community we are no inclined to spend even more money providing other OS options. MAC users can use "virtulabox". One of the Worshipful Company members had it up and running this morning on a mac in ten minutes. There are several very good winOS emulators and a couple of superb paid-for versions.

We won't be using dropbox or any other file transfer facility.

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
I have standard broadband and live in a small village, so not fast downloads, but I have downloaded this in 60 mins.

The content is good for all new to teaching, and a reminder to maintain good standards at all times.

Philip 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
I had the same problem as David Buskell, my download was called 'unknown.crdownload', if you get this , or something like it, just rename it to Turning.exe or [anything].exe and it will run.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
Ok got it running on my mac but I'm using Parallels and windows in a virtual setup so unless you have something like this on your mac it won't work so it's the DVD and the TV

Ed

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
Just flipped through the contents - where do you discuss the insurance issues?? I guess that if someone has stayed the course and wants to teach then surely they should have some kind of public liability cover.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
Hi As I have said many times - we don't offer insurance advice. 

In Session 2 page 11 we introduce risk assessment and you will hear the tutor say:

"We’re going on now to cover a simple workshop risk assessment. 
We don’t expect you to teach this to your students but you should undertake a risk assessment prior to teaching people at your workshop or club.

It is likely that you will also have to make sure you do this for your insurance.  If you have any doubts about insurance and what you are covered for, or not, please contact your insurance company or broker for advice"

Dave