Author Topic: Electrickery question.  (Read 4710 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Electrickery question.
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
If I get a cheapo grinder from one of those DIY places can I reverse it so it will run backwards? I have seen this done but haven't a clue and I don't like experimenting with electricity. I want to make a honing disc for my skews and have it permanently available so would replace the stones with wood ones. Any advice please?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Electrickery question.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
Hi Pete,
           I know nothing about electrics but I do know the threads on grinders are threaded so the Nuts do not undo when the Grinders are running

Regards John   
John Smith

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
you could either turn the unit upside down or stitch the wheel guards so that they face the back of the machine, this will give you the reverse direction you are after the only drawback on that is that the on switch will bee at the back as you are using it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
Pete,

do you have a wet wheel, the slow turn type. I've put one of these on the outside of mine for honing my skews.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grit-240-Diamond-coated-6-inch-Flat-Lap-wheel-Jewellery-grinding-polishing-disc-/151053982569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item232b84db69
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
I had an old grinder I wanted to run backwards and just by switching around the windings etc. it made no difference. I think with a basic induction motor you have to reverse the direction of the windings so it isn't really achieveable. I ended up taking the motor and shaft assembly out and fitting it the other way round in the case so the wheels ran backwards. I guess this solution would depend on how the unit was made. I have felt wheels on mine for honing carving tools.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I did wonder about somehow turning it around so I used it from the back. As yet I haven't got the grinder, I'll have a look at some of the cheapo ones and see what is possible. Pratting around with the electrics is well beyond my very basic skills in that area. I will hopefully have a lathe soon with reverse but wanted the availability of just sharpening the skews as needed. I'm sure something can be worked out

pete

Offline Rich D

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »
Pete

I have a nu-tool bench grinder (must be 18 years old) with two wheels, the dry wheel turns in the conventional way & the wet wheel stone turns the opposite but at half the speed.
You may be able to adapt one of these without invilving the electrics??
See attached link to ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-78456-230v-250w-wet-and-dry-bench-grinder-/191383686500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c8f5b4d64

Good Luck

Rich D :)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »
Pete

Rather than messing with the wiring if you get the right grinder all you have to do is loosen the base from the motor housing, rotate 180 degrees and reattach. Then obviously reposition the guards if you need them. With honing discs I've left the guard off mine. This worked on my Scheppach grinder.

Mark

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Pete come to the club in May as I will have my reverse run grinder there.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Thanks Mark, John etc. I'll be at the club John so will pick your brains then.

Pete