Author Topic: What price art?  (Read 31517 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: What price art?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
Who is Ray Key?

Regards George
...he's that chap who keeps saying' "Who is George?"

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
Who is Ray Key?

Regards George

I hope that is meant to be Ironic!

Why?

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
While I was having a chuckle at Les's quick thinking and whit,  :) :) George does raise a valued question 'who is Ray Key'.

Now I know Ray Key as an exceptional turner who is one of the founders of woodturning in the UK, this is how we all know him and I do not think asking the question George has can not be a relevant take on this subject.

If the bowl in question which is beautifully made was made by an unknown turner do you think the price would be a fare one ?

If not what price would you put on it ?

Would your price be the same as someone looking at it in a Chelsea gallery would be willing to pay. ?

Directly related to this do people from differing backgrounds/markets view items the same. ?

For me this raises a lot of often unanswerable questions. One thing though I have learnt from experience is that if I put a price on a piece based on the time taken and material cost then I am greatly underselling my work and the people I am aiming at would not purchase it as it would be seen as cheap, something that has been touch on already in the thread. Surely the creativity, skill and design capabilities which are learn over many years add up to a lot more than just time and materials. ?

Les

Apologies if this is taking your thread in another direction, if you are not happy with this, just let me know and I will delete it but I thought it was valid to ask some of these questions.  

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:26:27 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
i have no idea who Ray Key is. he might be well known in the turning world but the people who you aim to sell items to will 99% be joe public so maybe its the artistic workmanship they will be looking at and discount names?
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
i have no idea who Ray Key is. he might be well known in the turning world but the people who you aim to sell items to will 99% be joe public so maybe its the artistic workmanship they will be looking at and discount names?

That is it in a nut shell

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
Ray is the President of the AWGB. He is also the founder of the Association, his membership number is #1 !! He was an influence on worldwide turning before most of those who turn now even thought of turning. The quality of his work is something that I used to aspire to and to a certain extent still do. The quality of his chisel work is second to none and the level of finish that he obtains would put most of us to shame. Personally I think £450 for one of Ray's pieces is a steal, if I had the money I would buy it as it will only increase in value.
        Those of you attending the seminar this year will have the opportunity to see Ray and some of his work, I promise you that you will be in for a treat.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Les

Apologies if this is taking your thread in another direction, if you are not happy with this, just let me know and I will delete it but I thought it was valid to ask some of these questions.  

...not at all, Mark...it's a broad subject and this is all relevant for me.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
[ One thing though I have learnt from experience is that if I put a price on a piece based on the time taken and material cost then I am greatly underselling my work and the people I am aiming at would not purchase it as it would be seen as cheap, something that has been touch on already in the thread. Surely the creativity, skill and design capabilities which are learn over many years add up to a lot more than just time and materials. ?
Mark ...

I still calculate to some extent by time , the hourly rate just increases though !!  and as turners become more efficient / skilled they produce more in a given time as well ...Terry

[/quote]

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
Because I asked the Question who is Ray Key does not mean I do not know the answer of course I know the answer it is just my sense of humor.
I have the greatest respect for Ray and his work.
I find it very odd how people on Forums jump to other peoples defense and get offended on their behalf.
Lighten up folk and don't be so prickly .

I like Rays work so much I bought a piece as I am just a poor old pensioner maybe I should consider selling it but I hav found it to be very useful.
I expect all hell to come down on me now. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:33 PM »
Before you all start sending me hate mail it is a joke.

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »
Because I have now found out this Ray key piece might be worth a few bob I not going to use it as a door stop anymore and have replaced it with another bit that has been hanging about for a few years.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 09:38:43 PM »
....looks like a Mark Singer piece to me!  ;D
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:52 PM »
It does the job Les. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
Oh George how could you. That is a terrible thing to do to a revered turners work. I am sure he will be devastated when he sees that.. I thought you were friends.

Hang on................got my tongue stuck in my cheek.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities