Author Topic: Lathes....  (Read 4149 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Lathes....
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
I want to start looking for an upgrade.....not difficult from a Clarke CWL12D  :D      I imagine I will continue with bowls and intend to progress to hollowforms.  Large(ish) sizes certainly attract but I doubt in the medium term anything bigger than 14" - 16".  Could well be some largeish chunks that start quite off-balance.  Not interested in spindle work.

I fancy a swivel head to make getting to the insides or bowls easier and also to allow for slightly larger pieces.  I am not wedded to any particular size or make of kit....I do have a 3/4" x 16tpi chuck but it was bought second hand and can easily be moved on.  Maximum budget to get lathe / chuck / jaws is probably £1k.

So a couple (or so) questions if I may draw on your most excellent collective wisdom  ;D

1MT vs 2MT.......what is the actual practical benefit of 2MT? 

Are there any particular less well known makes / models that are worth looking out for?

Are there any well know makes / models that should be avoided?

Any other advice?

Any and all thoughts gratefully received.  I'm not in a busting rush as I'm sure there's still plenty I can learn on my current setup.....having said that if there's a bargain out there..... ::)

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Lathes....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:28:52 PM »
I bought a lathe a couple of years ago from Axminster and am very pleased with it. I would certainly go for a variable speed lathe for a start. An alternative to a swivel head is one where you can move the drive to the end and virtually outboard turn at the end of the lathe. The model I have has this facility with the attachments bolted onto the outer end. I believe thei set up is more rigid than a swivel head, but others may disagree on this. Whatever you choose, make sure it will satisfy your potential future use. Best of luck with your search. Malcolm.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »
Hi Chris

The benefit of 2MT over 1MT is purely strength 2MT has a larger diameter so stronger.

I have the Axminster AT1628VS the head swings out, it has fully variable speed and plenty of power. I've mounted pieces of wood to 50kg also turned pieces 30" plus and had no problems. If your budget is 1k then this might not be for you but if you can stretch to a few more hundred then this lathe is well worth looking at.

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »
It's not so much the strength of the MT accessories but when you think about it, the larger MT will generally be used in a larger spindle and that's where the strength difference is more important. Bigger spindle = stronger spindle!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
Chris I have a Union Graduate. About 60 years old now and has never coughed at anything |I have put on it.You might get one for the price.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks all, some food for thought.