Author Topic: My videos as a production woodturner  (Read 12182 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
My videos as a production woodturner
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Ok, I am not sure if this is of interest to you all but I have made these while working on jobs so they are exactly how I work and not made especially for the video. I thought you might like to share them.
Please note they are not tutorials and my methods may be a little different to others. Please do not attempt to copy them unless you are an experianced turner and confident in your ability.
Any questions are welcomed I will try to answer them but please be patient as I don't always have time to log on.
The quality is not the best as I am not used to making videos and filmed using my phone.
I hope you enjoy them

http://youtu.be/IU_jt_pgUjA          this is making a pine newel ball cap to match

http://youtu.be/3b9h2UI_0SI         this is making a pine Coffee Table leg

http://youtu.be/MkPb_VFiGAM        this is making hardwood handles

http://youtu.be/lcELk5Z840Q          this is making a beech box finial

http://youtu.be/Yh3l4fPHD88          this is making my off center watch stand base with standard chuck

http://youtu.be/2yX1T3uYIZo         this is making a stair spindle

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: My videos as a production woodturner
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »
Just viewed the first video....always good to see such fluent technique with a skew; you are obviously very comfortable with this tool. Will view the rest when I have more time.

Thanks for posting them...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
I agree with Les. You are a real master of the skew.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Watched them all and all I can say is there is a man who knows his stuff.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
Absolutely brilliant. An object lesson for anyone who wants to master the skew.
At what stage in your 35 years could you claim to have mastered what some regard as the devil to use?
Does anyone else use sandpaper that way?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »

Hello Steve,
                 Thank you for posting these woodturning Videos it shows what you can do with years of practice with the skew.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
Well done Steve, a fine demonstration of a craftsman at work. I particularly like making the stair spindle, just a few repetitious measurements and then the rest turned accurately by eye.Good for you.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »
Thank you for your comments it is much appreciated.

George thank you for your comments on you tube.

Tony, the skew was the first tool I was made to use as an apprentice, my Grandfather always said master the skew first and the other tools become easier to master. I had to turn straight stool rails for 6 months and if they were slightly too loose or tight then Grandad would throw them in the fire box. I would say it was 5-6 years before I could use it efficiently and 9-10 years before I had mastered it to the degree I could make every cut to the depth I wanted  and repeat it over and over again reducing the need of using callipers in many cases.

As for the use of sandpaper that is just the way I was taught and it is now so natural I don't give it a thought.

Grandad always said that the way you turn is not the most important but  accuracy  and  speed is most important for a production turner, these methods have been used by my family for 300 years and while they work for me please don't take that as the way it must be done. I would say that he did make me use all tools with the hand on top of the tool as a safety issue saying it stops it being thrown towards your face if a problem is encountered and I see soo many turners using the underhand method. How were others taught and what is everyone's opinion on that?  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:28:27 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
I originally learned to turn at school using old files that were sharpened down to scrapers and variations on the skew. OK a bad practice I definitely wouldn't do now but it meant that learn to turn using very basic tools. As a pro much of my work is spindle work and so the skew really comes into it's own. many things I make only use a skew and I have sort of collected various shapes and sizes, most in fact carbon steel. I wouldn't profess to be as skilled as shown in the videos but have to say I agree that it is perhaps the most under rated tool we have.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:35 PM »
Pete, that brings back memories. Grandad made a few tools from old files he said the steel was better, this was before HSS. He also tempered his own tools using the open fire, I tried it but ended up with pig iron that wouldn't keep it's edge.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »
We had some very strange looking tools thinking back. The teacher used to grind them all into different shapes for different uses but basically most were files. I also remember doing some finer work (or so it seemed to a 14 year old LOL) using bench chisels. H&S then was "If you hurt yourself it's your own stupid fault for being careless" I think that the files we had (I am talking about the 60's) were possibly a lot more usable than the ones we have today but still wouldn't recommend it. When I want to get a really good finish and save money on abrasives now I still use the carbon steel skews as even with woods like pine I can get a much better finish.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 06:38:08 AM »
I confess to still having, in the dark recesses of oone of my tool boxes, a chisel ground from an old file. :o :o :o Apprenticed as a joiner/woodmachinist part of my training involved learning how to turn. Turns out (no pun intended) that this must have been company specific as none of my contemporaries had the same training. Taught to turn using just 3 or 4 tools makes me wonder why I have so many today?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
About a week ago I had a student here and as always I tell students to bring along any tools they have so that I can check them for profile and sharpness.
He had just bought and old second hand home made lathe and about a dozen tools made from old files.When I explained to him the dangers of using old files he told me he had already broken two.
I think I have convinced him that it would be better to invest in a good set of tools from Crown tools.
I think he will also invest in a modern variable speed lathe.
I am convinced that a lot of would be turners give up because they buy unsuitable second hand lathe's and tools and instead of having tuition try and teach themselves and find it is not as easy as it looks.
You obviously had a very good teacher Steve

Regards George

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
watched all the videos,its great to see the skew used with such great skill and speed at the same time and all the work looked really nice to,I hope more people will watch your videos and have a go at using the skew,to many people are scared of such a marvelous tool,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
About a week ago I had a student here and as always I tell students to bring along any tools they have so that I can check them for profile and sharpness.
He had just bought and old second hand home made lathe and about a dozen tools made from old files.When I explained to him the dangers of using old files he told me he had already broken two.
I think I have convinced him that it would be better to invest in a good set of tools from Crown tools.
I think he will also invest in a modern variable speed lathe.
I am convinced that a lot of would be turners give up because they buy unsuitable second hand lathe's and tools and instead of having tuition try and teach themselves and find it is not as easy as it looks.
You obviously had a very good teacher Steve

Regards George

Regards George

if they are giving up at that stage then they don't have what it takes anyway in my opinion.

it's fairly easy to teach yourself.