Author Topic: Stupid idea I know but...........  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Stupid idea I know but...........
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 08:57:08 AM »
John
I have said on several occasions on this board that I have no interest in being professional or in trying to sell my work. Apart from the fact that I am nowhere near good enough or fast enough I am to old for all that crap. So I don't consider you are being rude.
However, there have been several threads on the forum about where, and how,  the Pros ( and maybe good hobbyists ) sell their work and the difficulties involved. All businesses have to invest time and money in the sales side as well as the manufacturing side of the business. If there is any evidence at all that a 'solely wood' gallery is financially viable then just ignoring it seems a little short sighted.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
Graham I was replying to your comment (or query)about the RPT. Although having said that they do get involved with the exhibitions in London hosted by the Worshipful Compay of Turners.These exhibitions are well worth a visit by the way. I think by nature woodturners would not tend to group together and form shops or co-ops, I know we have the clubs and pros demo at clubs etc. but we never pass on all of our secrets.
     I once teamed up with a woodturner to help sell our stuff but it soon became apparent that he was only interested in selling his own whereas I was selling and showing to customers both of our works equally. So I do feel that if a shop was to start then those that ran it should not have their own work up for sale.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »
Yes, I can see that would be a problem.
I was thinking more that if charity status could be used to get a cheap ( if temporary ) shop then a dozen or so turners could join together to pay someone to run it impartially.
But Pete is right. It will never happen.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »
Just an idea -  :)

A charity shop or more a charity gallery for woodturning where the work has to be vetted could raise the profile of woodturning.

The Kent Woodturners (AWGB club) hold two events one for a week in the summer and one for two weeks in November where the club members display their work in a gallery format it's run on a rota system by the members and it seems to run quite well.

I could see a shop working on this format, but it would take  some work and a team, it would need a charity behind it to get the cost of rent and rates down.

So if say the AWGB was to support a program like this and then a AWGB woodturning club for an area was to run a shop local to that club under the charity umbrella and members of the club rallied to support it then it could work.

The club committee could vet the work and set the standard and also help with pricing. Then a percentage of the sale could go back to support the AWGB a bit like the commission any gallery would take but not as high.

It then would not matter who you were in the world of woodturning you would just need to be a member of that AWGB club.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Ed it sounds idyllic but I can't see it working. I batter on about quality of work and stuff all the time but I would hate to be the one to look up to a fellow club member and tell him his/her work is not up to scratch. And I know this has to be done to raise standards. It would take a great deal of organisation, we can't organise much on a Saturday in our club as the underlying comments are "we go shopping on Saturdays". so with no grown up thinking we certainly will not get grown up solutions.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:04:19 AM »
As I said in the initial posting it is just a daydream I have had. I agree with John that the organisation etc needed is more than at first appears. Part of my thinking was based on the fact that those galleries that exist often won't even look at wood turning and though the artistic side of the craft has blossomed and the reception at shows is good there is still that idea that if it made from wood it isn't art. Ok if it is an unmade bed or a dead cow but not wood. I don't know what it is like on the continent but the States and Australia seem to have a more updated view than us, maybe it will come

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
Pete we are a way behind the USA but I think that there is a slow turning  :) in the right direction

BHT your right it would take a lot of doing but who knows from ideas on forums.................:)

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:10 AM »
Hi All.

It is not as easy as putting stuff in an empty shop.I was one of the original members of http://www.somersetcrafts.com/ we now have 20 members and a very large display area.There are always problems with Stewarding we take it in turns my wife Sue and I do two Sundays a month.You need this many members for stewarding and even then sometimes you have a job to fill spaces.Then there is presentation you need professional looking plinths it is no good sticking stuff on old tables and boxes.Myself and a furniture maker made all the plinths and display cabinets and painted them.If you are in a temp space they have to be stored between venues and somebody has to store and move them Security and insurance is another issue.Most empty shops have the power turned off.And out of hundreds of members who decides who can occupy the space and for how long not to mention who decides if work is a high enough standard.The only way I could see it working is if you had a benefactor who would let you use a very large building for free members that were prepared to make display cabinets  and a committee to run it.
In our woodturning club http://www.burnham-on-sea-wtc.co.uk/ we have nearly closed down because we cant get members to be on the committee.
Unfortunately Pete due to lots of problems and peoples cant be bothered attitude it would never work but a good idea anyway.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Sadly I agree George. I know at least one person who tried to run a craft shop in Devizes but lasted only a year. I will keep trying galleries that are already in existence but seem to have to travel further afield all the time Got one i Reading to go to tomorrow, another in Salisbury. Few and far between though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities